Railroad Forums 

• Proposal to Move Oversight from FTA to FRA

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1352309  by Sand Box John

"DutchRailnut"
and now they will assume responsibility.

They were given that oversight through enabling legislation attached to the Transportation Bill passed in 2012. That enabling legislation was added to the 2012 Transportation Bill as a result of the 2009 WMATA Fort Totten wreck.

This would all be moot if the Tri-state Oversight Committee, when created, was given regulatory powers that had teeth.
 #1367801  by R36 Combine Coach

SemperFidelis wrote:As I understand it, PATH is under FRA jurisdiction due to it having a connection to the national rail system at one point along its ROW. The last common piece of trackage i recall was many, many years ago crossing a diamond that was part of a freight branch somewhere just east of Harrison. I seem to recall that connection was taken out many years ago, but I could be wrong.
The connection east of Harrison Shop has been removed. There still is a switch with Conrail near Journal Square, however all equipment enters and leaves the system on flatbed trailers at Harrison Shop. I suspect PATH/H&M's ICC/FRA status may be a legacy of when PRR trains shared the line between Newark and Jersey City until 1961.
 #1372306  by MCL1981

Personally, I would have rather seen the FRA take it. I think they would be much harder on WMATA's incompetent and useless management than the FTA is. However, the FTA is still better than than the revolving door of do-nothings they had internally before.