• Traction Power Substation Fire Stadium-Armory

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by farecard

The day before we get Poped, the traction power substation at the stadium overheated/caught fire. From the press reports, it was quite ugly this morning. WMATA bifercated service there but now is just skipping that stop. [The Silver line being the exception; it's still stopping at EFC.]

I would think they could overcome this without too much degradation; the power network is bridged - "tied" - together unless deliberately isolated.

Better today than tomorrow!
  by srepetsk

They're using the two adjacent TPSS (Potomac Avenue and Deanwood) to power the 3rd rail for where the Stadium Armory TPSS otherwise would provide power. Speed restrictions are in place and WMATA jiggled with the peak service schedule (8min headways for Blue/Orange/Silver).
  by Sand Box John

"srepetsk"
They're using the two adjacent TPSS (Potomac Avenue and Deanwood) to power the 3rd rail for where the Stadium Armory TPSS otherwise would provide power.

Actually it's Potomac Avenue to the west and Minnesota Avenue and Fort Mahan to the east.
The Potomac Avenue substation is on the south side of Potomac Avenue between 17th and 18th Streets SE. The Minnesota Avenue substation is between the bus loop and parking garage south of the station, the Fort Mahan substation is on the north side of Benning Road east of Minnesota Avenue. The tie breaker station to the west is at the south end of Stadium-Armory, the tie breaker station to the east is between the east end of pocket track and the junction turnouts in D&G Junction.

From the reports I heard this evening one of the transformer in the substation was destroyed. To restore service WMATA isolated the destroyed transformer from the circuit to allow the other transformer[s] to supply power to the third rail. The out of service transformer will reduced the power output from the substation. The adjacent substations will pickup some of the load.

The speed restriction and longer headway will be in place until WMATA can get in there and replace the transformer and other equipment that may have been damaged by the fire.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote: The speed restriction and longer headway will be in place until WMATA can get in there and replace the transformer and other equipment that may have been damaged by the fire.
Hope they have a spare transformer on hand. They've been upgrading TPSS's and should have at least a smaller one around.
Lead time for big transformers is insane; these are smaller, only a few MVA, but still...
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
Hope they have a spare transformer on hand. They've been upgrading TPSS's and should have at least a smaller one around.
Lead time for big transformers is insane; these are smaller, only a few MVA, but still...

They may have access to one. According to a document I have Fort Mahan is scheduled to begin upgrades around now.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by srepetsk

Sand Box John wrote:"srepetsk"
They're using the two adjacent TPSS (Potomac Avenue and Deanwood) to power the 3rd rail for where the Stadium Armory TPSS otherwise would provide power.

Actually it's Potomac Avenue to the west and Minnesota Avenue and Fort Mahan to the east.
Sorry about that, just posted what WMATA put in their media release yesterday afternoon.
  by Sand Box John

"srepetsk"

Sorry about that, just posted what WMATA put in their media release yesterday afternoon.

No need to apologize. It's the folks in media relation that didn't get it right. I have the advantage of having a list all of the substation and tie breaker stations.

I just wish the list included the wattage output.
  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote: I just wish the list included the wattage output.
Seeing as how they are upgrading them one by one.....such would only be right twice a day.

I am amazed the loss of one TPSS has as big an impact as reported. I don't know how many were out in that DC blackout ~20 years ago, but we got home OK.
  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
Seeing as how they are upgrading them one by one.....such would only be right twice a day.

It would give an idea how power is distributed and where the week points are.

I am amazed the loss of one TPSS has as big an impact as reported.

OCC likely lost remote control of the substation as the result of the fire.

The only way they could isolate it was to cut power at the adjacent tie breaker stations and get PEPCO to cut it from the grid.

Once that was done they could get electricians in there to assess the damage and manually isolate the equipment to allow power to be fed from adjacent substation.

"srepetsk"
Um, ok...Stessel is saying the speed restrictions will be in place for "several weeks" while they repair the TPSS: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr ... n-line-11/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WMATA is going be thorough in their cleanup. The transformers are housed in their own chamber adjacent to switching equipment.
  by MCL1981

And in typical WMATA fashion, their PR department blamed all the delays and disruptions on the fire department. "Fire Department Activity" is Metro's favorite phrase. They make it sound like someone's house is on fire and the FD has a hose run across the tracks. Or that the fire department is otherwise preventing Metro from operating normally. What that phrase really means, is Metro equipment is on fire or been involved in an accident. The fire department is on scene of Metro's accident. But lets just pretend it's the fire dept holding everyone up, not the accident or malfunction. Typical Metro. Blame everyone else for their problems. And this attitude is why nothing will ever change with them. Until Metro begins begin responsible for it's own actions from the top down, it will continue to disintegrate.

I'm actually surprised DCFD hasn't called them out on this practice and made them stop.
  by farecard

MCL1981 wrote:"Fire Department Activity" is Metro's favorite phrase. They make it sound like someone's house is on fire and the FD has a hose run across the tracks.

Come on, no one would ever do THAT, would they?
  by farecard

srepetsk wrote:*sigh* http://wmata.com/about_metro/news/Press ... aseID=5972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're allowing one train through in each direction at a time and limiting both speed and acceleration through the area.
And are saying it will take SIX MONTHS to rebuild.
Please explain why Metro North can build a substation in a few days.
They could put one good-sized transformer and rectifier on a flatbed trailer and drive it there.