Railroad Forums 

• Greenbelt station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1343023  by Munchabunch

I am curious about why the MARC station at Greenbelt is one of the most elaborate ones on the Camden line, with its dedicated sidings, long high platforms, wheelchair ramps, and a pedestrian underpass. It gets fewer passengers than any other station I've seen, and many of the MARC trains pass right thru without stopping.
 #1343150  by Sand Box John

"Munchabunch"
I am curious about why the MARC station at Greenbelt is one of the most elaborate ones on the Camden line, with its dedicated sidings, long high platforms, wheelchair ramps, and a pedestrian underpass. It gets fewer passengers than any other station I've seen, and many of the MARC trains pass right thru without stopping.

The Greenbelt MARC station along with the ramps to and from the Capitol Beltway that access the park and ride was built and opened before the Metrorail station. Planning for the Metrorail station came first, Maryland DOT got in there before WMATA and build the station and access roads.

Back when it there by itself, the parking lot usually had a dozen cars parked in it. My guess is the low use is because of the price one must pay to use the WMATA lots.

Both stations provide easy pedestrian access from the Hollywood area of northern Collage Park.
 #1343281  by ThirdRail7

You also have to consider the fact that the Green line is completed. Years ago, the Green line dead ended at the Fort Totten station, forcing everyone to transfer to the Red Line. From there, you took the Red to Gallery Place, where the Green Line would continue.

The transfer usually worked out, but it was still a pain.

Tjis is no longer an issue, so it is a one-two-three punch. When you compare the two operations The Green Line has faster, direct, cheaper and more frequent service to various points in the city than the Camden Line.
 #1344476  by Sand Box John

"ThirdRail7"
You also have to consider the fact that the Green line is completed. Years ago, the Green line dead ended at the Fort Totten station, forcing everyone to transfer to the Red Line. From there, you took the Red to Gallery Place, where the Green Line would continue.

The transfer usually worked out, but it was still a pain.

Topic drift.

You forgot about the Green line shortcut.

Northern segment opened 12 11 1993. Rush hour shortcut service commenced 01 27 1997 and ended when the mid city segment opened on 09 17 1999.

The Green line shortcut gave rush hour passenger using the northern segment a one seat ride to Farragut North via the B&E connector.