Railroad Forums 

• MARC To Purchase Siemens Chargers?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1367539  by AlligatorPants

Hello there. I've lurked about these forums for a few years, but have been inspired to register and contribute recently due to the technical content of a few different discussions. Please forgive and correct any newbie mistakes.

I'd like to offer some input on the MARC motor gearing vs. acceleration discussion.
It was stated in different variants that double-heading these engines doesn't have much of an payoff for acceleration:
It's not that generic loco can't accelerate faster MU'd. It's that MARC's specific roster of MP36's aren't geared to provide that capability. They can spend money to re-gear them...at a penalty of lower top speed...or they can buy a make that's a bit more flexible with fewer limitations. They're choosing to buy something a bit more flexible with fewer limitations.
,etc.

I believe that the fundamental oversight here is the relationship of the locomotives to the entire train consist, and I'll try not to be too long winded.
Basically, adding a loco to a longish train effectively doubles the available power and torque while only adding a small percentage to the overall mass of the consist. So, there is a benefit in performance and acceleration, and it is not insignificant. The argument quoted above makes some sense if we are discussing a consist of locomotives only (train mass and power increasing at the same rate as units are added) but that is not the practical condition.

Detail:
The specific MARC gear ratio is relatively unusual in the industry, but the concept is quite common. I believe their ratio is 2.5 with a more common "standard" being around 3.5. The inherent limitations of a DC motor plus the desire to operate around 100 mph necessitate the change. Since the wheel rpm is proportional to the motor rpm * the inverse of the gear ratio, and a DC motor has a pretty touchy max rpm before it turns itself into a bird nest, there are only so many options to achieve the higher speed. We've heard above about one of the major trade-offs: low-end acceleration is affected. Another is that the infinite minimum speed is bumped up - no biggie for commuter service. However, as we approach the maximum rpm of the motor, the payoff begins as you gain around 30 mph+ at motor rpm over 2100 (max assumed around 25-2600).

Scenario:
Making some assumptions for simplicity and argument here, so please don't get too fussy with the digits.
Locomotive = 125 tons (pretty generous for our subject, but we must never ask a girl about her weight)
Trailing Coach = 125 also (probably not too far off for a bi-level around an AW2 load)
So, one loco and 6 coaches = 875 tons. The locomotive is about 14% of the train mass.
Two locos and 6 coaches = 1000 tons (WOOH! A KILOTON!). The locomotives are 25% of the train mass.
We have an 11% increase in train mass, but a 100% increase in available torque. Since torque and current are proportional on a DC motor, you have effectively decreased the time that your motor current will be pegging the ammeter. Once the initial moment of inertia is overcome, the voltage rises and motor rpm increases. The increase in acceleration isn't going to win any drag races, and we're throwing out some real-world considerations like adhesion, grade, various rolling stock resistances, but it is a real increase and I bet the calibrated posteriometers of the actual train crews on these forums would agree.

BTW - the real offender causing poor acceleration in these units...... is the slower engine ramp rate necessary to achieve the emission targets.
Have a good weekend, and you Easterners be safe in the "snowmageddon" or whatever it is called this year.
 #1367589  by DutchRailnut

why are we discussing DC motors when Chargers are AC traction ??
 #1399895  by dt_rt40

Sorry to bump but I had missed this thread, and as one of the few here (I think) who actually has suffered with riding Penn line for years, I can clear a few things up.

No, having 2 MP-36s does NOT significantly improve acceleration. It is still, in most cases, easy and unambiguous to tell whether diesels or the one of the couple remaining HHP-8 still in use, are pulling a MARC Penn train. The electrics don't accelerate like a metro train (LOL), but it is still noticeably faster. In fact I was surprised years ago when I would see the double MP-36 consists, hoping they would improve acceleration, but noting that if they do, it's hardly noticeable.

"We can basically agree that the electric engines have been terrible for MARC."

I rode trains propelled by them hundreds of times and only experience one breakdown; I've also been in a MP-36 pulled train that had a breakdown. So they were no more terrible for *me*. I know statistically their reliability was poorer. But it was nice to get to Aberdeen a few minutes faster, a few minutes over many many days turns out to be a big chuck of your life. That being said, as someone else noted, it isn't a particularly tight schedule and around and north of Baltimore the bridges, tunnels and related track deficiencies obviously cause way more overall delay. It only takes one train running late, Amtrak or MARC, to mess up the cadence (or whatever they call it in railroading) meaning whatever MARC train you're on drops to the rear of the proverbial line. For example the 6:05pm NB MARC is not infrequently surpassed by the cross-honored regional, which is "supposed" to get to Aberdeen 15 minutes later. MP-36 pulled trains can still keep the schedule - IF and only if, everything else goes right. Since that doesn't happen on a plurality of days, it was nicer for me to have a electric because it can catch up faster when it needed to. That happened just this morning.

As I've stated before, at least MARC is finally buying a top of the line diesel from a real manufacturer and not a parts maker that decided to branch out, capable of going 125mph, if it's so important to abandon electric traction for them. (Which somehow they were able to use for 20 years until now.)
 #1399968  by STrRedWolf

dt_rt40 wrote:As I've stated before, at least MARC is finally buying a top of the line diesel from a real manufacturer and not a parts maker that decided to branch out, capable of going 125mph, if it's so important to abandon electric traction for them. (Which somehow they were able to use for 20 years until now.)
The summary for the argument to go 100% diesel is "It's considerably cheaper, we can get more of 'em, and we can use 'em everywhere." Meanwhile, the electrics have been "expensive, prone to breaking down on certain models, and can only be used on one line."
 #1400148  by MCL1981

Oh please. I'm sure it will fine as-is. Everyone hanging on for dear life going through Derwood interlocking is a small price to pay for a faster commute.
 #1400155  by MCL1981

With the pointless flag stops like Garret Park, Washington Grove, and Boyds, it would be futile anyway. The train has to stop again as soon as it is up to speed in order to pickup the 2 people at each station that didn't want to go a mile down the road gburg or Germantown.