Railroad Forums 

• MARC 875 Kensington, MD Grade Crossing Collision

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1340054  by ToledoRailFan

My buddy just texted me from MARC 875. They just broadsided a dump truck at the Forest Glen/Seminary RD grade crossing apparently. Twitter says MCPD and MCFRS are on site, and the road is shut down.

He said it appears everyone on the train and dump truck is okay - one of the emergency windows blew in and hit one of the passengers in the face.
 #1340058  by MCL1981

Taking the glass half full here... Those heat orders had us going slower than we normally are going through here. We hit the truck and it spun around hitting the side of the train again. The truck is on the other track now so both are fouled. It's an MP36 for those wondering. We have at least one passenger with a minor injury. No idea about the occupants of the truck.
 #1340117  by realtype

876 had 6 cars (the normal 874/875 consist) and only one conductor this morning. It was also pushed by a single GP39 (which I'm assuming replaced the MP36 involved in the collision).

It's the first time I've ever seen a MARC GP39 power a train this long. Usually they're restricted to 3-4 car trains. It didn't do too bad getting us up to track speed though (it's limited to 70mph).
Last edited by realtype on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1340122  by MCL1981

Fortunately it's mostly downhill going east on the Brunswick Line. I'm sure that helped you get rolling this morning.

It looks like this truck was maneuvering either on or off the track 2 side of things at the crossing. Obviously either the driver or the dispatcher misjudged some timing here... He's very lucky he wasn't facing the other way. The passenger side of that truck is gone.
 #1340159  by mmi16

MCL1981 wrote:Fortunately it's mostly downhill going east on the Brunswick Line. I'm sure that helped you get rolling this morning.

It looks like this truck was maneuvering either on or off the track 2 side of things at the crossing. Obviously either the driver or the dispatcher misjudged some timing here... He's very lucky he wasn't facing the other way. The passenger side of that truck is gone.
Truck was operating in a defined Work Zone, under the authority of the 'Employee in Charge' of the work zone. Dispatcher had 'Blocked Off' the track on which the truck was operating as the work zone and the other track was known to be live. The Employee in Charge gives radio instructions to each train that intends to operate through the work zone, these instructions include speed restrictions, if any, and any other instructions the EIC may make. Trains cannot enter the Work Zone without the permission of the EIC. Entering a work zone, without permission of the EIC is the same as running a STOP signal in the CSX Discipline procedures. What was the truck driver thinking??????
 #1340165  by MCL1981

Clarify something for me. The work zone with restrictions and permissions was only track 2, and would not have also encompassed track 1 where MARC was operating through? Or would it include both tracks, and the EIC simply cleared the MARC train through on track 1 without restriction? Either way, I get the distinct impression the truck was in the wrong place rather than the train?
 #1340179  by mmi16

MCL1981 wrote:Clarify something for me. The work zone with restrictions and permissions was only track 2, and would not have also encompassed track 1 where MARC was operating through? Or would it include both tracks, and the EIC simply cleared the MARC train through on track 1 without restriction? Either way, I get the distinct impression the truck was in the wrong place rather than the train?
Work Zone's normally encompass all tracks in multiple track territory. One track will have active MofW activity and the other track(s) will be used to pass trains on the instructions and permission of the EIC. Fault SEEMS to be fully in the lap of the truck operator.
 #1340430  by MCL1981

I'd imagine he'll take some heat for this if that's the case. But all things considered he's lucky to be alive. I'd venture a guess he's a little sore. But most people don't get t-boned by a train going 50mph and survive at all let alone suffer no injuries. It even sounded like death.
 #1340456  by mmi16

MCL1981 wrote:I'd imagine he'll take some heat for this if that's the case. But all things considered he's lucky to be alive. I'd venture a guess he's a little sore. But most people don't get t-boned by a train going 50mph and survive at all let alone suffer no injuries. It even sounded like death.
My guess - after the company disciplinary investigation process, he will be a former CSX employee.