Railroad Forums 

• center track platforms at Aberdeen

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1338493  by dt_rt40

Just a little bit of information to share since I don't think anyone else here is a regular north-of-Baltimore rider.
The fence at Aberdeen has been cut and 2 over-track platform extensions installed on either side...though there was already one from track 3 (center I think) to the NB platform so it's really 3 that were added.
It's a bit odd because at various times I've ridden all of the afternoon trains. Compared to the pre-2013 (?) schedule, there's no longer been a need to use the center track at that station. At least not that I've seen. And, obviously, if you have to use it all for a NB train, it means that there's a good chance something is lurking on the mainline that needs to get past in a hurry, automatically raising the likelihood of a holdout requirement. I once reported here on a close-call I observed some years ago. So, maybe they want to be able to empty a NB MARC train on the _other_ side of the station, letting an Acela speed by on 2 track (?) w/o worrying about doing a holdout. That would be nice, if it meant avoiding the disgusting urine and sometimes blood filled tunnel that is an absolute disgrace to both Amtrak and the city of Aberdeen.
 #1338630  by ThirdRail7

dt_rt40 wrote:Just a little bit of information to share since I don't think anyone else here is a regular north-of-Baltimore rider.
The fence at Aberdeen has been cut and 2 over-track platform extensions installed on either side...though there was already one from track 3 (center I think) to the NB platform so it's really 3 that were added.
It's a bit odd because at various times I've ridden all of the afternoon trains. Compared to the pre-2013 (?) schedule, there's no longer been a need to use the center track at that station. At least not that I've seen. And, obviously, if you have to use it all for a NB train, it means that there's a good chance something is lurking on the mainline that needs to get past in a hurry, automatically raising the likelihood of a holdout requirement. I once reported here on a close-call I observed some years ago. So, maybe they want to be able to empty a NB MARC train on the _other_ side of the station, letting an Acela speed by on 2 track (?) w/o worrying about doing a holdout. That would be nice, if it meant avoiding the disgusting urine and sometimes blood filled tunnel that is an absolute disgrace to both Amtrak and the city of Aberdeen.

They did this because of track work. If you recall, they undercut 3 track last spring and undercut 2 track late summer to fall. As soon as the TLM is finished working Bacon-Prince, track work will occur on 4 track between Grace and Bush. If all goes according to plan, it will probably kick off in a few weeks, necessitating the use of 3 track at Aberdeen.
 #1338824  by dt_rt40

Yeah, thirdrail, they are actually making announcements about this now, ahead of time to let us know. Which by MARC's standards seems like commendable foresight.
I wish they just left the fence openings and added the pedestrian crossing gates/guards that are much more commonly seen in Europe; but that would be asking 100X too much in our ridiculously litigious society. Then I wouldn't have to walk through the sewer every night to get back to my car. Next time I see some old-timers at some train event who know the history of the PRR in the area, I want to ask if ABE, etc. always had those fences. I doubt they did in olden times and crossing the tracks wouldn't have gotten you thrown in jail. I do think they need a crossing gate though...a deadheading MARC train is often almost silently slipping by just as the Amtrak is leaving. That would be a disaster waiting to happen. (btw The air moved by those bilevel cars at 125 mph is breathtaking, literally, especially when led by the cab car.)
Off topic for this board but I'm sure the New Haven Line/Shore Line has some pedestrian crossings in CT? Speeds aren't as high east of New Haven right...is US policy to prohibit them for > 120 mph track?