Railroad Forums 

• MARC 7900's (ex Metra/CNW Pullman cars)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1333301  by mmi16

A group of MARC 7900's will be leaving Brunswick tonight headed toward Chicago and delivery to METRA.
 #1333394  by DutchRailnut

and for us MARC virgins what are 7900's
 #1334645  by mmi16

The last week in May, MARC shipped 11 7900 series cars from Baltimore to METRA in Chicago.

Now the cars are headed back to Baltimore. Anybody know what is actually happening with these cars?
 #1334752  by MCL1981

These are the school bus cars? The maligned gallery cars, right? What on earth did they do with them? In your other thread, you said they were going back to Metra, but now they're coming back? Are they going to have a ceremonial burning in Brunswick I can attend?
 #1334772  by Backshophoss

Possibly a CSX misroute,they are very good at misrouting or misplacing passenger equipment.
Just ask MBTA. :-)
 #1334783  by mmi16

Backshophoss wrote:Possibly a CSX misroute,they are very good at misrouting or misplacing passenger equipment.
Just ask MBTA. :-)
Not misrouted unless MARC billing them to METRA is a misroute. CSX will handle them wherever anyone wants to pay for their movement.
 #1334793  by MCL1981

This entire thread makes no sense. Did MARC sell these POS cars back to Metra or not? Are they on their way back to MD or not?
 #1334818  by mmi16

MCL1981 wrote:This entire thread makes no sense. Did MARC sell these POS cars back to Metra or not? Are they on their way back to MD or not?
What is known for a FACT.

Cars were shipped from Baltimore and consigned to METRA in Chicago in the last week of May 2015.

Cars were shipped from METRA in Chicago back to MARC in Baltimore in the 1st week of June 2015.

Answers as to WHY is what I am seeking. Just keeping the lube warm in the roller bearings is not the answer.
 #1335074  by mmi16

mmi16 wrote:
MCL1981 wrote:This entire thread makes no sense. Did MARC sell these POS cars back to Metra or not? Are they on their way back to MD or not?
What is known for a FACT.

Cars were shipped from Baltimore and consigned to METRA in Chicago in the last week of May 2015.

Cars were shipped from METRA in Chicago back to MARC in Baltimore in the 1st week of June 2015.

Answers as to WHY is what I am seeking. Just keeping the lube warm in the roller bearings is not the answer.
Cars were stopped at Cumberland and returned back to Chicago. The question now becomes why were they shipped out of Chicago?
 #1335079  by MCL1981

mmi16 wrote:Cars were stopped at Cumberland and returned back to Chicago. The question now becomes why were they shipped out of Chicago?
Well, having ridden in those things, I can understand why someone in Chicago tried to quietly send them away....
 #1335215  by Tadman

Admin note - this is the product of two similar threads in the MARC/VRE forum regarding ex-Metra cars headed back to Chicago. I'm looping it through the Chicago forum in hopes someone knows the answer and replacing it back to the MARC forum. Answers appreciated, have a nice day!

As a member - it's been a long time since I've been in these cars. Metra cars are generally in pretty good shape, including the legacy CB&Q/Budd cars in the 700 series I used to ride a few times/month.