Railroad Forums 

• Special Metro Service on Veterans Day for Concert for Valor

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1299130  by JDC

Metro has released its plan for accommodating potentially immense crowds on Veterans Day 2014, which will feature the Concert for Valor on the Mall. http://wmata.com/rider_tools/metro_serv ... m?AID=4203. The biggest change: regular Blue line service will will be suspended, instead operating only as a shuttle service between National Airport and Arlington Cemetery for non-concert attendees. Otherwise, all trains originating at Franconia-Springfield will be Yellow and run all the way to Greenbelt. The goal, according to Metro, is to get people into and out of DC as fast as possible and to use Blue line cars to make trains on other lines 8-cars long. Metro mentions that more cars will be in service during this event than a normal rush-hour.
 #1299145  by Sand Box John

This was reported at nbcwashington.com and wtop.com before WMATA posted their press release. Me thinks this might be a test run of next summers Independence Day system configuration.

Oh if you happen to be riding the system that day you might lookout for the 7k car prototype set. WMATA has tentative scheduled the first 7k car train to go into revenue service the day before.
 #1299923  by Sand Box John

"DiscoveryAnalysis"
I'm completely against the setup they have planned. I even created an op plan for that day and posted it on Twitter. Here's a screenshot of it.

No need to display a Special destination sign on the National Airport - Arlington Cemetery shuttle. Destination code 25 is Arlington Cemetery Blue, Destination code 37 is National Airport Blue.

Frankly I think WMATA should run normal Monday holiday service until around 1700 then do a phased change over to the special service for the concert goers. All the Blue line trains on the east of Rosslyn after 1500 PM return to Virginia to become special service trains. National Airport - Arlington Cemetery shuttle service begins at 1600. 6 car Blue line train returning from Maryland would be broken up to make 8 car special service trains at the Franconia - Springfield platform.
 #1299946  by JDC

DiscoveryAnalysis wrote:I'm completely against the setup they have planned. I even created an op plan for that day and posted it on Twitter. Here's a screenshot of it.
image.jpg
Your Blue line shuttle makes a lot of sense - and would be much easier for those seeking to get to the Cemetery Station.
 #1299996  by JDC

Metro has updated its plan for the concert to include express shuttle buses from Rosslyn to Pentagon every 12 minutes. I am sure this is in response to complaints that, because of the lack of Blue line service, there was no way to travel between the two parts of VA with Metrorail except for traveling into DC first, which would seem to exacerbate the crowding downtown. http://wmata.com/rider_tools/metro_serv ... m?AID=4203