• NTSB closes another Metro safety recommendation

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by JDC

Today the NTSB closed another Metro safety recommendation, bringing the total to 21 closed with 8 more to go (29 total). http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/P ... aseID=5648

The one closed today: "R-09-16 Develop a program to periodically determine that the electronic components in your train control system are performing within design tolerances." This was a post-2009 Ft. Totten accident recommendation. "Of the remaining eight recommendations, three have been submitted to NTSB for closure. The remaining five recommendations involve longer-duration projects – such as replacement of Metro's entire 1000-series fleet with new 7000-series railcars."

If I recall from Metro's previous release on this issue (back in Nov.), there were 4 recommendations that were ready to close and waiting NTSB approval. So, from November to today (January 22), NTSB closed the one above, leaving the three left to close - hopefully in the coming months.

NTSB closed 7 safety recommendations in Nov. 2013:
R-07-025 Ensure appropriate coordination between all departments responsible for maintenance and design to resolve issues before new equipment is purchased.
R-07-026 Establish a single point of responsibility within [Car Maintenance] to quickly evaluate and incorporate actions identified through accident investigations or related research.
R-07-027 Establish written procedure regarding rail lubrication for single-track operations over switch, turnouts.
R-08-001 Review and update [operating rules] to provide for layers of protection for Roadway Worker – adding requirements for Briefings, Scope & Duties, acknowledgement from trains.
R-09-010 To all Transit Properties – Review medical history and physical examination forms and modify them as necessary to elicit information regarding sleep apnea or other sleep disorders.
R-09-11 To all Transit Properties – Establish a program to identify operators who are at high risk for obstructive sleep disorders and require that such operators by appropriately evaluated and treated.
R-10-11 Completely remove unnecessary wayside maintenance communication system to eliminate potential for interference with Automatic Train Control system
  by JDC

Today, Metro announced that the NTSB closed another three safety recommendations that originated with the 2009 Ft. Totten crash: http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/P ... aseID=5735.

Specifically, these three are now closed:
  • R-10-12 Conduct a comprehensive safety analysis of the Metrorail automatic train control [ATC] system to evaluate all foreseeable failures of this system that could result in a loss of train separation, and work with your train control equipment manufacturers to address in that analysis all potential failure modes that could cause a loss of train detection, including parasitic oscillation, cable faults and placement, and corrugated rail. CLOSED - ACCEPTABLE ACTION
  • R-10-13 Based on the findings of the safety analysis recommended in R-10-12 incorporate the design, operational, and maintenance controls necessary to address potential failures in the automatic train control system. CLOSED - ACCEPTABLE ACTION
  • R-10-17 Develop and implement a non-punitive safety reporting program to collect reports from employees in all divisions within your organization, and ensure that the safety department; representatives of the operations, maintenance, and engineering departments; and representatives of labor organizations regularly review these reports and share the results of those reviews across all divisions of your organization. CLOSED - ACCEPTABLE ACTION
I'd like to see what closed the first two, since they related to the return to ATC/ATO.
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

I'd like to see what closed the first two, since they related to the return to ATC/ATO.

Conversion of problematic legacy high frequency track circuits (AF track circuits) to AC power frequency track circuits. The use of AC power frequency track circuits eliminates the possibility of parasitic oscillation in track circuits.
  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:"JDC"

Conversion of problematic legacy high frequency track circuits (AF track circuits) to AC power frequency track circuits. The use of AC power frequency track circuits eliminates the possibility of parasitic oscillation in track circuits.
Great, thanks.

If the NTSB closed this recommendation, does that mean that Metro just has a PLAN to do this, or does it mean it's been implemented system-wide? I know, based on an earlier discussion we had, that Metro indicated the Red Line is ready to return to ATO/ATC, pending review by other authorities. But the work continues on segments of the Blue, Orange and Yellow lines.
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

If the NTSB closed this recommendation, does that mean that Metro just has a PLAN to do this, or does it mean it's been implemented system-wide?

The hand full of document I have read have hinted it will be implemented system wide. From what I have read the track circuits that will be converted first are the problematic track circuits previously mentioned, i.e., long track circuits and or track circuits that have WEE-Z bonds that double as negative current return bonds.

I know, based on an earlier discussion we had, that Metro indicated the Red Line is ready to return to ATO/ATC, pending review by other authorities. But the work continues on segments of the Blue, Orange and Yellow lines.

At this point I don't know how the return to ATO will be implemented, phased or all at once.
  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote:"JDC"

I would love to read a real description of what this means; one that talks Hz, audio levels and such. Thus far I'm in the dark.