Railroad Forums 

• MARC New Multilevels

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1245768  by realtype

I've been wondering the same thing. They were originally supposed to be delivered last spring, but delivery kept getting pushed back. November 2013 was the most recent delivery date, but that's come and gone and I haven't heard anything.

I don't what it is with MARC and getting their equipment, but they always seem to be very, very delayed getting into service:
- The MP36 units were late and were delayed nearly a year after the MTA had a dispute with MTA
- It took nearly two years for the 16 Kawasaki bi-levels from VRE to be "repainted" into the MARC scheme
- Of course the most infamous is the "18-month" AEM-7 overhaul that took over 3 years and they still don't work properly

The only success story is the MARC IIB single level overhauls which were done by Bombardier
 #1246245  by davinp

realtype wrote:I've been wondering the same thing. They were originally supposed to be delivered last spring, but delivery kept getting pushed back. November 2013 was the most recent delivery date, but that's come and gone and I haven't heard anything.

I don't what it is with MARC and getting their equipment, but they always seem to be very, very delayed getting into service:
- The MP36 units were late and were delayed nearly a year after the MTA had a dispute with MTA
- It took nearly two years for the 16 Kawasaki bi-levels from VRE to be "repainted" into the MARC scheme
- Of course the most infamous is the "18-month" AEM-7 overhaul that took over 3 years and they still don't work properly

The only success story is the MARC IIB single level overhauls which were done by Bombardier
The 16 Kawasaki bi-levels from VRE, weren't just "repainted". They also needed some repair work done - new brakes, new windows and repair to the seat handles.
VRE has never had a delay in receiving new equipment. In fact 8 new railcars are expected to arrive next month, as scheduled, and placed in service by March
 #1246486  by Fan Railer

NJT has not, as far as I currently know, finished accepting its share of the MLV order. Once the MLVs for NJT are complete, then the MARC deliveries can begin.
 #1249056  by CNJGeep

AFAIK, all the NJT cars are on the property. The last three (7054/7700/3) were delivered right before the Super Fail. Again, not certain but I'm fairly sure.
 #1269632  by realtype

Fan Railer wrote:As of last month, I read reports of MARC MLVs sitting on MARC property. No images can be found yet though...
Finally! They're probably in the yard near Martin State Airport.
 #1271950  by ThirdRail7

There are npw 8 cars on the property, of which 5 will participate in testing over the next few nights.
 #1271985  by Fan Railer

Someone uploaded interior pics of the cars on Facebook. Not surprisingly, they look just like the NJT cars, and appear to be numbered in the 80xx series.
 #1272050  by amtrakhogger

A test train with the new MLV's is currently sitting in Baltimore on F track.
 #1273205  by R36 Combine Coach

This is apparently a MARC Multilevel carbody kit shell being en route to Plattsburgh, NY for assembly and completion. Seen in central Quebec.
 #1273302  by Toaster718

This is a clip from a article in 2013 as to why the cars were delayed- (As for the 54 new bi-level cars, MTA expects the first of the cars to be in service in November. The cars were delayed by a strike at the factory in Quebec and Federal Railroad Administration-required modifications to the brake rotors. They will be certified to run at 90 mph, but MTA would like to get them certified to run at 125 mph.)
 #1273303  by Toaster718

davinp wrote:
realtype wrote:I've been wondering the same thing. They were originally supposed to be delivered last spring, but delivery kept getting pushed back. November 2013 was the most recent delivery date, but that's come and gone and I haven't heard anything.

The 16 Kawasaki bi-levels from VRE, weren't just "repainted". They also needed some repair work done - new brakes, new windows and repair to the seat handles.
VRE has never had a delay in receiving new equipment. In fact 8 new railcars are expected to arrive next month, as scheduled, and placed in service by March
I guess there is a 1st time for everything because VRE is still using those old ex Metra cattle cars.
 #1275196  by BuddSilverliner269

Toaster718 wrote:This is a clip from a article in 2013 as to why the cars were delayed- (As for the 54 new bi-level cars, MTA expects the first of the cars to be in service in November. The cars were delayed by a strike at the factory in Quebec and Federal Railroad Administration-required modifications to the brake rotors. They will be certified to run at 90 mph, but MTA would like to get them certified to run at 125 mph.)
Not sure why they want to do this as they want to scrap electrics and order more diesels and the diesels are only good for 90 I believe. Lol