Railroad Forums 

• WMATA to return to ATC operation?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1243620  by Sand Box John

"frequentflyer"
Thanks for the replies, I was referring to the actual train operation. Interesting to me that it was automatic train control up until the 09 accident. After googling this subject it looks like Metro is going back to computer control line by line.

Red line was upgraded first, shortly after that the crosstown Blue Orange lines was is being upgraded, contracts for upgrading of the Yellow line from National Airport to Huntington, Green line from U Street to Southern Avenue, Blue line from D & G Junction to Addison Road and East Falls Church to Vienna were a advertized last year.
 #1243873  by tommyboy6181

Sand Box John: Have you heard if they are staying with the GRS/Alstom system or are they moving towards Ansaldo-STS? I was just wondering because I know both companies have been doing work for them lately and also know that the mixing of the circuits was one of the things noted in the 2009 crash. Plus, I know the 7000 series cars are using Ansaldo-STS cab signalling.
 #1243941  by Sand Box John

"tommyboy6181"
Sand Box John: Have you heard if they are staying with the GRS/Alstom system or are they moving towards Ansaldo-STS? I was just wondering because I know both companies have been doing work for them lately and also know that the mixing of the circuits was one of the things noted in the 2009 crash. Plus, I know the 7000 series cars are using Ansaldo-STS cab signalling.

I believe that thay are using both vendors products. The easiest way to tell a GRS/Alstom from a Ansaldo-STS track circuit is by looking at the Wee-Z bond, the Ansaldo-STS Wee-Z bond has the vendors logo on it, GRS/Alstom do not.

Ansaldo-STS (USS&S) bond on Charlotte Lynx Light Rail.
 #1265557  by JDC

At this week's Board hearing, Mr. Troup will update Metro's Board about the status of the return to ATC. The related document (http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_ ... Update.pdf) does not give any timeline or estimates whatsoever. Once the meeting is over, I will listen to the audio to see if he says anything different.
 #1265728  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
At this week's Board hearing, Mr. Troup will update Metro's Board about the status of the return to ATC. The related document (http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_ ... Update.pdf) does not give any timeline or estimates whatsoever. Once the meeting is over, I will listen to the audio to see if he says anything different.

The picture on page 16 "Wayside Hazard Analysis" is the picture in the post above that I took on 12 01 07 at 11:15 AM in Charlotte North Carolina on the Lynx Light Rail.
 #1265787  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:
The picture on page 16 "Wayside Hazard Analysis" is the picture in the post above that I took on 12 01 07 at 11:15 AM in Charlotte North Carolina on the Lynx Light Rail.
I think you may have an admirer.
 #1265799  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

I think you may have an admirer.

More like WMATA doesn't have a similar image in their vast collection of pictures.

I have no problem with people using my work provided they credit me. I do the same with pictures from the WMATA, The Washington post and other sources.
 #1301459  by JDC

There is a separate thread re: the return to ATO on the Red Line, starting in test phases this Oct. and full scale early in the new year, but this nugget can be found in Metro's FY 2016 budget review presentation from this week's Board meeting: In addition to the critical continued delivery of the new 7000-series cars, Metro will be laying the groundwork for safer and smoother rail travel with the full implementation of automatic train operations (ATO) by the end of 2017." http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/board_ ... 141106.pdf at page 4

Later on the page is this bit of information, which seems to imply it is related to the ATO progress: Finally, the FY2016 budget will continue to allocate substantial resources to the work of maintaining our system in a state of good repair, including a major rehabilitation project planned for nearly 19 miles of rail line between National Airport and New Carrollton. This rehab will improve all systems and infrastructure along the right-of-way, similar to what is currently underway on the Red Line."