Railroad Forums 

• Metro's 2040 Plans: New Blue, Yellow and VA lines

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1284421  by Sand Box John

"farecard"
They will need to improve the platform passenger flow to make such possible. As it is, stations such as Silver Spring lack stairs, leading to queues on the platform after a train unloads. I see similar choking at large downtown stations.

I think WMATA is making this out to be a bigger deal then it really is. More trains running at closer headways would spread the loads more evenly resulting in shorter exit queues.

FYI: The north entrance at Silver Spring is not original to when the station opened on 02 06 1978, it was added at a later date.

"asdf"
bit offtopic but the pedestrian tunnel studies got me wondering...

why is there a metro center station, then gallery place-Chinatown station? they are so close to each other - they could have moved the red line platform right between the two and create one giant metro center-Chinatown station. the pedestrian tunnel would have "existed" already by the virtue of having all platforms link together.

2 reasons, the 2 stations are to far apart and there is an S curve between the stations.

Back when the passenger boarding studies were done in the 1960s Gallery Place was predicted to be a minor transfer station. That's why the platforms in Gallery Place are not as wide as the platforms in Metro Center.

No one had a clue that Abe Pollin would build an arena on top of the station 20 years later. The planners back then in envisioned an arena on the northeast corner of North Capitol and H Street NE. That why the H Street tunnel from the north mezzanine of Union Station was built.
 #1285471  by Sand Box John

"djlong"
So how can the London Underground run 90 second headways with platforms barely 4 or 5 people wide with narrow staircases and pedestrian tunnels? (Saw this in action over the past few days)

Because the London Underground has a fleet of rolling stock large enough to run that close of a headway. The suits at WMATA will never include that fact in their reason why.
 #1295049  by braves

Does anyone know or has heard on when METRO will finally released the Final Report on it's 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan as well as to when public hearings will be held to get feedback on it's 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan Final Report?
 #1579965  by Sand Box John

braves
Does anyone know or has heard on when METRO will finally released the Final Report on it's 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan as well as to when public hearings will be held to get feedback on it's 2040 Long Range Transportation Plan Final Report?

Blue/Orange/Silver Capacity & Reliability Study
(10.1 MB PDF file) 09 03 2021 1723
 #1579966  by JDC

John and I think alike! I just made a separate post about the WP story covering this development, but I did not link directly to the study (or recall this old thread).