Railroad Forums 

• Would Metro ever consider having a "Heritage Fleet"?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1346193  by mtuandrew

Backshophoss wrote:Since the NTSB is very "unhappy" that the 1K's are still in active service,don't think NTSB would like to see a pair to run as
a Museum piece on Metro trackage.
As I understand it,a pair of modified 1K's is used as the "Money Train" during the overnight no service hours.
Keeping 1 or 2 pairs around as a parts source to keep that pair running might be nice if a little used yard track
can be found to park them.
I think the Money Train is 8000-8001 or 8001-8002. They're visible parked in the daytime at Alexandria Yard.

And yeah, I doubt Metro wants any of the 1000s around much longer. They have the 6000s and 7000s, and the rest of the fleet can roll until the wheels fall off.
 #1346246  by Sand Box John

Cars formerly numbered 1010, 1011 and 1044, 1045 now 8000, 8003 got their new numbers back in the late 1980s when WMATA moved its revenue processing facility from the Jackson Graham Building to Alexandra Yard.

What I have always thought was odd was how the Breda cars were numbered, the 2k cars were, base contract 76 cars, 3k cars, option 1 290 cars, 4k cars, option 2 100 cars.

As built the only difference between the 3 orders is the 2 and 3k cars had DC cam control propulsion systems in them them, the 4k cars had DC chopper propulsion systems in them.

All of them could have been numbered within the 2k series, Base order, 2000 - 2075, option 1, 2076 - 2465, option 2 2500 - 2599 to differentiate them from the DC cam control cars.

WMATA could have numbered them from 1500 up Base order and option 1, 1500 - 1865, option 2 1900 -1999 to differentiate them from the DC cam control cars. This numbering schema would have allowed both the CAF and Alsom cars to be numbered in the 2000 and 2500 series respectively leaving 3000 up for the Kawasaki cars.

By the time WMATA started using the 5ks numbers, the 1ks numbers would have become available as the result of retirement.

If a heritage fleet were established the numbering schema to differentiate them from the revenue could be done by prefixing their original numbers with an H or 0.

I will note, the Rhor cars were a single order for 300 cars and 1 unfitted out car body.
 #1346302  by tommyboy6181

Sand Box John wrote:As built the only difference between the 3 orders is the 2 and 3k cars had DC cam control propulsion systems in them them, the 4k cars had DC chopper propulsion systems in them.
IIRC, didn't the 3k series also have chopper controls when they were delivered? My understanding was the 2k had the cam controls which made them silent like the pre-rehab 1k. Then the 4k had a different chopper control which made them slightly quieter than the 3k.
 #1346305  by Sand Box John

"tommyboy6181"

IIRC, didn't the 3k series also have chopper controls when they were delivered? My understanding was the 2k had the cam controls which made them silent like the pre-rehab 1k. Then the 4k had a different chopper control which made them slightly quieter than the 3k.

My bad, you are correct, 2k cam control, 3 and 4K chopper control.

My recollection was Breda wanted to fit all of the cars with DC chopper controls, WMATA had concerns that the power electronics in the chopper controls might possibly interfere with the frequencies the speed commands were transmit on. Somewhere along the line that concern was determined to be unfounded.
 #1346318  by dcmike

The "money train" actually runs in the daytime during off-peak hours. It operates as a four-car train made up of a pair of Rohrs coupled to a pair of random 2-3k revenue cars. It's sort of odd that operations sees no problem running the money train with a Rohr in the lead given their self-imposed rule of not doing this.

The 4000 series cars received substantially revised propulsion, friction brake, and ATC systems from the pre-midlife 3000 cars. Many parts were not interchangeable. When you look at it from a training, operational, and inventory perspective it makes sense that the various Breda series cars had different numbers.
 #1346341  by Sand Box John

"dcmike"
The "money train" actually runs in the daytime during off-peak hours. It operates as a four-car train made up of a pair of Rohrs coupled to a pair of random 2-3k revenue cars. It's sort of odd that operations sees no problem running the money train with a Rohr in the lead given their self-imposed rule of not doing this.

Maybe said policy only applies to revenue trains only. A seldom poster here e-mailed me that he saw a deadhead run to Glenmont of mixed consists with 1k cars on the point.

The 4000 series cars received substantially revised propulsion, friction brake, and ATC systems from the pre-midlife 3000 cars. Many parts were not interchangeable. When you look at it from a training, operational, and inventory perspective it makes sense that the various Breda series cars had different numbers.

That being said, the Bredas total 466 cars, the present numbering schema wastes 2,000 or 2,500 car numbers. By putting all of them within the 2000s, base order 2000 - 2075, option 1 2100 - 2389, option 3 2400 - 2499 leaving 3000s, 4000s and 5000s for assignment to the CAFs, Alstoms and Kawasakis. Using the 500 scheme they could have been numbered 1500 - 1575, 1600 -1889 and 1900 - 1999 leaving 2000 - 2499, 2500 - 2999 and 3000 for assignment to the CAFs, Alstoms and Kawasakis.

As I recall the pre production mock up of the Rhor car displayed on White House lawn and the Ellipse had a 3 digit car number.