Railroad Forums 

• Silver Line Dulles WMATA Metrorail progress/pictures

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1547383  by Sand Box John

farecard
And that "designed" was/is/shall be the issue.

There are cities/airports where rail transport does not just compete, it's a real win.
National, Hopkins, Denver, SEATAC come to mind.
IAD never will.

You weren't around when WMATA opened the station at National Airport. Back then there were only two options for getting from the station to the terminal, walk across the terminal roadways from single entrance on the south end or board a shuttle bus adjacent to that entrance.

Money is what prevented the station at Dulles from being located closer to the terminal.
 #1547491  by blockski

The objections to the Dulles station design are small potatoes.

That it's outside is silly - this is like complaining that the arrivals roadway is outside.

The distance from the terminal is indeed longer than I'd like, but the walk there is 100% climate controlled with moving walkways. The idea that this alone is a deal breaker is also silly, particularly when compared to the distances that people walk in airports just to get to their gates.
 #1547549  by JDC

If people use the outdoor station at National Airport, which has no wind screens besides the signage and shelters, then they'll use this outdoor station in equal amount. Actually, I wish they'd update the National Airport station to feature wind screens.
 #1547558  by Sand Box John

JDC
If people use the outdoor station at National Airport, which has no wind screens besides the signage and shelters, then they'll use this outdoor station in equal amount. Actually, I wish they'd update the National Airport station to feature wind screens.

You should be happy that it has full length canopies over its platforms. It is the only station like that. I just wish they built the new half of the canopies to match the originals
 #1547561  by blockski

Sand Box John wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:04 am JDC

You should be happy that it has full length canopies over its platforms. It is the only station like that. I just wish they built the new half of the canopies to match the originals
The problem with the original design is that it's all cast-in-place concrete, which makes that original design extremely impractical to extend while maintaining operations.
 #1547574  by Sand Box John

blockski
The problem with the original design is that it's all cast-in-place concrete, which makes that original design extremely impractical to extend while maintaining operations.

It's only a problem if they are cast in place the same way the originals were. The existing cast in place canopy segments are roughly 100' long and 4 1/2" thick and are supported by two 24" X 16" columns on the platforms and four 12" X 16" columns over the escalators.

The new segments could have been cast and cured on the ground and lifted and set on the new cast in place columns. Eight canopy segments set over eight separate nights with no interruption of service.

Thinking out of the box is something WMATA and its contractors have rarely done.
 #1548608  by YOLO

Adam Tuss: Silver Line leaders say the “tie-in” between the first and second phase is going well. The hope is to turn the project over to Metro in December. If that happens, the line could be running possibly in February or March.

Wouldn't it be something if they decide to open on March 27th
 #1548651  by Sand Box John

YOLO
Adam Tuss: Silver Line leaders say the “tie-in” between the first and second phase is going well. The hope is to turn the project over to Metro in December. If that happens, the line could be running possibly in February or March.

Interesting that you mention this. When I went to Metro Hero this morning I noticed two non revenue trains in the area of the Wiehle - Reston East Station. Sense the closing of the Orange and Silver lines for the station rehabilitation and Silver line tie in projects this was first time I had noticed any trains west of Ballston. As I wright this there are two trains parked at the Wiehle - Reston East Station platform.

Wouldn't it be something if they decide to open on March 27th

It would be nice but it is not likely. WMATA typically does its own testing certification after the contractor has done their testing and certification. Tack on at least another three months for WMATA testing and certification along with employee staffing, familiarization and training.
 #1548657  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:13 pm
The new segments could have been cast and cured on the ground and lifted and set on the new cast in place columns. Eight canopy segments set over eight separate nights with no interruption of service.
I think lifting the segments might be more challenging than you assume. They will not be light.
 #1548673  by farecard

Sand Box John wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:17 pm
I have seen loads that were a hell of a lot heaver being lifted into place.
As have I.

100 ft x 4.5" x 12 = 450ft^3
450 ft^3 * 150 lb/ft^3 = 67500 lbs.
That's about 30 ton.

Yes, two track mounted cranes can do the job, but that will need downtime each weekend, and a place to: pour canopies, let them setup, then lift/move them into place.
 #1548678  by YOLO

When I checked MetroHero I saw 1 train at Wiehle Reston and was confused, must have been for the tie in testing. At least its going well and there will be an end date coming soon

Taking the train to Ashburn is going to be interesting
 #1548768  by Sand Box John

farecard
Yes, two track mounted cranes can do the job, but that will need downtime each weekend, and a place to: pour canopies, let them setup, then lift/move them into place.

The casting of the canopies would be setup and done on the terraces between the station and the roadways. Concrete pumps would be used to place the concrete from the mix trucks on the roadways at night. The lifts would also be done at night using a pair of 50 ton truck cranes setup on the roadways.
 #1548833  by blockski

It's not a question of the technical feasibility of matching the canopy design. It's a question of constructability, cost, etc.

I love the Harry Weese station designs, but the downside of the choice to use cast-in-place concrete is that it's not easy to expand while continuing regular operations.