Railroad Forums 

• Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1487333  by MattAmity90

Hopefully the contractor fixed the heating system in the Eastern half and that the full 12-car length platform looks exactly the same. From what I heard, over the Summer they added an extra layer to give that uniform look.

The mistake they made was putting water in the system when they were finishing up Phase I, especially with the never-ending, unbearable cold in which temperatures never cracked the freezing mark for 5 straight weeks which didn't help. They should have laid the pipes as the progress went along until it was finished, then infuse water into the system.
 #1489205  by MattAmity90

I visited home finally last week on the 16th, and took several snapshots of the full platform from left to right. Yes, the project is completed finally and was completed in early-October 2018.

-The way they rehabilitated the Western half is similar to that of Massapequa with a crease in the middle and the horizontal slats.
-It passed my inspection as I walked the entire length looking for any blemishes, there were none.
-Rode the elevator up and down, and it didn't break down, it ran flawlessly.
-Unfortunately the WiFi and Help stations were still bagged over.
-Heated waiting room is doing the job, is sealed, and rather comfy.

In conclusion during Phase II they rehabilitated Phase I as well before giving it that uniform seal to connect both halves. Everything is in working order, the repairs were made to the fullest extent beyond the code, but they could secure the PVC piping of the ASIM system on the West end of the station under Wantagh Avenue with better bracing because it was buffeting every time an express on Track 2 roared through. Despite the setbacks, they took full responsibility by admitting their faults and with some input from Eng they made up for it in the end to be sure it turned into what we had envisioned when the project got the green light.

On a side note: No activity at the Massapequa Pocket Track, but wiring inside the gantry is poking out for a possible signal installation, and one spot surrounded by wood in a box area to the South of the ROW at the East end has a piece of metal sticking out of the ground. A pedestal signal might be put there to finish it perhaps?

-Matthew "Birthday Boy" 28 years old today.
 #1534100  by MattAmity90

Edward Hand has been photographing the Babylon Branch from Wantagh to Massapequa Park over the past couple of days. Obviously taking a break from the Third Track project. After nearly five years since Massapequa was renovated and rehabilitated in 2015, they are finally doing work with the pocket track. As you can see, signals with bags wrapped have been erected (including one on the gantry). No word on when this will be completed, however ballast and other accouchements are being adjusted for service. Picture is looking West from Massapequa Park.

New signals at Massapequa Pocket Track.
New signals at Massapequa Pocket Track.
49545932121_32138edaa0_c.jpg (140.66 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
 #1534196  by gamer4616

MattAmity90 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:32 pm No word on when this will be completed

There is more work being done for the Massapequa Pocket Track cutover Feb 29th and Mar 1st with busses replacing trains from Rockville Centre through Babylon. Nothing else is listed on the track work calendar, so I'm assuming it will be in service March 2nd.

I don't know what trains are scheduled to use the track. One train that would make sense is 1099.

Train 3004 is a non-passenger train (equipment train) from West Side Yard (330am) to Babylon (444am). It spins in Babylon station for train 1099 (506am), and runs as an equipment train to Wantagh (518am), then makes passenger stops to Penn. Instead of spinning them in Babylon, they could easily be spun in Massapequa now.
 #1534948  by bellstbarn

Below is a link to the February 29 and March 1 bus substitution between Rockville Centre and Babylon.
http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/f ... busing.htm
---
The buses marked R appear to be bunched so a bus will pick up at two or three stations, then run express to Rockville Centre.

Note the promise of extra Central Branch service terminating in Hicksville.
 #1535316  by bellstbarn

I have been glancing at the bus substitution today, February 29th. The passenger count is low, from what I saw in Wantagh. Several times, I saw an auto drop travelers off and wait. Yellow tape closes the stairways up to the platform. At least half the hopeful riders got back in the cars. The fleet of buses arrives hourly, mostly Academy and Coach USA. Luckily, the ticket office waiting room is open in this blast of cold wind.
---
One of the substitute buses from Short Line was scrolling a sign for 17M, the Orange County highway that parallels the Erie roadbed where in 1850 Charles Minot introduced dispatching by telegraph. Is text messaging the new tool for bus dispatchers?