Railroad Forums 

• Massapequa and Wantagh Station Renovations

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1061100  by lirr42

Is there any news on when (or if) they will start the planned renovations to Massapequa and/or Wantagh Stations? I remember seeing someplace that the planned start dates were 2012/early 2013. Now on the Capital Program dashboard it August 2013 for Massapequa and August 2015 for Wantagh.

The platform at Massapequa are in especially bad condition. the paint is peeling from the canopies and the edge of the platform is deteriorating, even to the point where there are steel plates covering most of the platform edges. Also the platform leaks like a sieve when it rains, it's less then fun dodging streams of water coming through the canopy when trying to walk down the platform. The escalator there also has not moved in years.

A couple questions:
  • I presume they are going to do Massapequa first, as per the Capital Program Dashboard. What kind of shape is Wantagh in?
  • Will Massapequa end up looking somewhat similar to Seaford? (meaning will they put back the full-length platform canopies or just over the staircases like most other stations)
  • Also, I noticed Massapequa is not like most of the other Babylon Branch stations. Massapequa is completely on an embankment, it is not on any support system like Seaford or Wantagh, and it doesn't use direct fixation like Bellmore or Merrick. There are only 2 tunnel-like throughout into the embankment for the only 3 staircases down to street level (plus the escalator and elevator). Will this effect how they renovate the station and/or do they plan on changing this to make it more like the other stations along the line?
  • Is August 2013/2015 the "start date" for work on the stations (like breaking ground) or is that the day when they start "studying" and planning?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 #1061124  by MattAmity90

The only thing I can say is that yes, Massapequa is completely dilapidated, and I have only set foot on that station a few times, so I don't know much about that. I really don't think they would use Seaford's design for Massapequa due to the topography and embankment, except for the platform lighting, and a new elevator.

As for Wantagh, steel plates covering the platform, and steel diamond plates to smooth out bumps or small cracks is the condition there. I can't tell you how many times I have almost tripped on the steel plate that smoothes out a particular bump, you can't see or feel it until you hit it with your foot. This plate is located right next to the waiting room on the platform near the canopy that connects it. Wantagh's makeover design, I would have to say they will use the same design as Seaford's just because those two stations were elevated at the same time, therefore they look the same. Finally, there is no doubt in my mind that they will add an elevator to Wantagh after the project is finished.

Since were talking about station renovations, I think that Massapequa Park, Amityville, Copiague, and Lindenhurst should have an addition made. Even though I'm neurologically disabled with Autism, I'm a huge supporter for the ADA. I hope they add elevators to those 4 stations, then that way all the stations on the Babylon Branch will be ADA accessible. This December 13th, Massapequa Park's elevated station will turn 32, while this coming August 7th, the elevated stations that make up the A/C/L segment will be turning 39. It's time to add elevators to those stations.
 #1061131  by lirr42

Yes, Wantagh will have an elevator installed (to comply with the ADA requirements that all stations that are renovated have to be brought up to)

I also thing installing elevators on the remaining stations on the branch would be a good idea too.

Other than Massapequa and Wantagh, most of the Babylon Branch stations are still in good condition. I just don't what they did to Massapequa to make it deteriorate so fast compared to the others.
 #1061146  by workextra

Massapequa, this station appears very similar to both Rosedale and Laurlton stations in regard to the concrete mixture used and canopy style. I would believe that any revamping would keep the current canopy just rebuild it and replace any steel that needs replacing, all concrete will be done plus new escalator and elevator. I really don't think they will go above and beyond that unless the village complains and demands a complete redesign of the platform/station which would cost millions more.

Wantagh, if anything should be done very similar to what was done at Seaford, though a longer canopy should be included. Both were elevated at the same time and should be rebuilt to look similar, except for a longer canopy at Wantagh. New elevator and escalator ect..

Either way both stations will be done in 2 phases West end and East end. Each 6 cars at a time. Odds are the End with the escalator and elevator will be done first.
Regardless, Not one bit of work should start on either station unless all the funding is in place including spare over run funds to account for Potential problems. Each station should take 6-8 months total to compete.

Don't forget Babylon and Hicksville are also very bad and both need work ASAP starting at Babylon. Which should include a new interlocking and the realignment and reconnection of the Central Branch into station track 1. This would alleviate a lot of traffic jams at Babylon having the added pocket and flexibility of turning motors on the Central.
This would compare to the proposed work at Hicksville to extend Hicksville station track 1 West into the North side/Atlantic pipe.
 #1061672  by Head-end View

Not sure if this is obvious; Massapequa station was elevated many years earlier than the other stations in that area. That accounts for the different construction and greater deterioration. Some LIRR historians on here can probably tell us what year Massapequa was elevated.
 #1061775  by MattAmity90

In Order Going EAST, station name and opening day of elevation.

VALLEY STREAM: February 5th, 1933
LYNBROOK: October 18th, 1938
ROCKVILLE CENTRE: July 18th, 1950
BALDWIN: October 2nd, 1958
FREEPORT: October 10th, 1961
MERRICK: June 28th, 1975
BELLMORE: June 28th, 1975
WANTAGH: October 22nd, 1968
SEAFORD: October 22nd, 1968 (Platform renovated and replaced started July 1st, 2008 completed July 31st, 2009)
MASSAPEQUA: January 18th, 1953
MASSAPEQUA PARK: December 13th, 1980 (Last station to be elevated on the Babylon Branch)
AMITYVILLE: August 7th, 1973
COPIAGUE: August 7th, 1973
LINDENHURST: August 7th, 1973
BABYLON: September 9th, 1964.

Other Stations:

HICKSVILLE: September 12th, 1964 (3 days after Babylon)
FLORAL PARK: Sometime in 1962
BELLEROSE: Sometime in 1962 (I think)
ROSEDALE: November 20th, 1950
LAURELTON: November 20th, 1950
LOCUST MANOR: October 1935
SAINT ALBANS: October 1935
SPRINGFIELD GARDENS: October 1935 (Abandoned in early 1970's, Demolished in the 1980's)

Tell me by saying YES, that they should put money aside to ADD ELEVATORS at Massapequa Park, Amityville, Copiague, and Lindenhurst so that all Babylon Branch stations are ADA accessible. We all know that when Wantagh is finished, it will have an elevator.

Matt
 #1061848  by wbrennan49

Just as an FYI, the escalators at Amityville, Copaigue and Lindenhurst have been out of service since the accident where an elderly woman was killed when she got hung up in the Lindy escalator. I beleive they were looking to retro fit saftey shutoff's in the entry plates, but the parts are not available. So, they boarded them up and they sit OOS.

Bill
 #1183776  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I find this Massapequa Station rehabilitation Project interesting...

I want to note that Massapequa Station was last renovated in around 1980 when the platform on the E end
was extended from I believe was an 8 car platform to a 12 car platform - the designers matched the new
canopy extension to be exactly the same as the 1950s design in the steel supports and wood roof...

Massapequa and Woodbridge,NJ (NJT NJ Coast Line) are very similar in their design and there is no doubt
both stations were designed by the PRR in house...

After 32 years Massapequa now needs to be extensively renovated - replacing the entire 1950s built platform
and fixing up the canopies...

The LIRR looks to be keeping the same general design here and it will be something to see how this
project evolves...

MACTRAXX
 #1183828  by MattAmity90

One thing I hope they add to that is fencing along the embankments. Any word on how this could have an effect on the power lines on the Northern Embankment? Or could they actually replace the poles?
 #1184089  by MADDOG

MattAmity90 wrote:In Order Going EAST, station name and opening day of elevation.

VALLEY STREAM: February 5th, 1933
LYNBROOK: October 18th, 1938
ROCKVILLE CENTRE: July 18th, 1950
BALDWIN: October 2nd, 1958
FREEPORT: October 10th, 1961
MERRICK: June 28th, 1975
BELLMORE: June 28th, 1975
WANTAGH: October 22nd, 1968
SEAFORD: October 22nd, 1968 (Platform renovated and replaced started July 1st, 2008 completed July 31st, 2009)
MASSAPEQUA: January 18th, 1953
MASSAPEQUA PARK: December 13th, 1980 (Last station to be elevated on the Babylon Branch)
AMITYVILLE: August 7th, 1973
COPIAGUE: August 7th, 1973
LINDENHURST: August 7th, 1973
BABYLON: September 9th, 1964.

Other Stations:

HICKSVILLE: September 12th, 1964 (3 days after Babylon)
FLORAL PARK: Sometime in 1962
BELLEROSE: Sometime in 1962 (I think)
ROSEDALE: November 20th, 1950
LAURELTON: November 20th, 1950
LOCUST MANOR: October 1935
SAINT ALBANS: October 1935
SPRINGFIELD GARDENS: October 1935 (Abandoned in early 1970's, Demolished in the 1980's)

Tell me by saying YES, that they should put money aside to ADD ELEVATORS at Massapequa Park, Amityville, Copiague, and Lindenhurst so that all Babylon Branch stations are ADA accessible. We all know that when Wantagh is finished, it will have an elevator.

Matt
Correction
BALDWIN opened-October 2nd 1957
I have photos with dates from the Baldwin Historical Society & Museum

MADDOG
 #1184318  by MattAmity90

MADDOG

I knew it was on October 2nd, I just forgot if it was 1957 or 1958. I had the same issue with Freeport, I forgot if it opened in 1960 or 1961. I got that correct, with the date too October 10th.
 #1185897  by MattAmity90

LIRRDashingDan89 wrote:Noticed plastic flags flying the in the breeze down the middle of the right of way between Mass Park and Amityville the other day. Anyone know what that's all about? Does it relate to these renovations?
Thanks
Maybe a pocket track project? They were talking about installing a pocket track near Massapequa Park for trains that originate and terminate at MP. They originally were going to put it between Massapequa and Massapequa Park, but they are obviously doing the construction, and the two stations are only 1/2 mile apart. Amityville is a little over 2 miles East of MP, and the tracks are NOT directly next to each other. The tracks don't widen out until they go over Unqua Road.