Railroad Forums 

• LIRR P72 coaches... where'd they go?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1060584  by Backshophoss

That BAR coach was part of the MW fleet in the past,part of the 3rd rail De-icing train,I believe,
that might have been the mount for 1 of the sprayer nozzles,or a "scraper shoe"(3rd rail power off when used!)
 #1064443  by 452 Card

The car in the picture is one of the old Boston & Maine "blimp" cars that were used on the original alcohol trains. They were replaced by mis-matched MU cars that are converted for the task and hauled by MP15s.
 #1064636  by keyboardkat

I still thing the MTA should have kept a number of these cars around; not all of them, but those in the best condition. They should have been cleaned up and maintained as a standby fleet for periods of peak traffic, like New Years Eve, etc.
The PRR kept a bunch of its old P-70s around. They were kept in good shape and sometimes showed up on intercity trains when equipment was short. They were smooth riding, quiet, and air conditioned, just like the P-72s. Since the number of C-3 cars purchased was limited, and perhaps insufficient, this might have been a solution. But nobody asked me.
 #1064691  by tahawus84

i think i remember reading on this forum a long time ago that one of the cars in riverhead is privately owned. anyone know if this is true?

also someone said a page back that csx wont interchange these. did nya ship out the one they sold yet? guessing it would have to go out my csx?
 #1064702  by Backshophoss

The cars at that "broker" are now long out of date on air brakes and truck bearings,both would need to be
overhauled to "roll on their own wheels". Maybe then CSXT will "accept" them for interchange.
only other way is to use 2 flatcars,1 for the "carbody",1 for the trucks.

NY&A's coach should have "current" air brake inspection and be ok for CSXT to move.

LIRR didn't want long lines of cars "wasting"away for various reasons,and yard tracks are a bit scarce on the island,
LIRR wanted them off the property ASAP!!
 #1064723  by keyboardkat

But they didn't get enough C-3s. The word from above was, "That's all we got, and that's all we're gonna get."

And the hypothetical preserved P-72s on the LIRR, if they had to be pressed into service for an unusual need, could be hauled by ex-LIRR NYAR GP-38s or MP-15s. I think the LIRR retained the option to recall some of those units if necessary.
 #1064744  by lirr42

keyboardkat wrote:...And the hypothetical preserved P-72s on the LIRR, if they had to be pressed into service for an unusual need, could be hauled by ex-LIRR NYAR GP-38s or MP-15s..,
Do the GP-38's and MP-15's have HEP that could power the P72's
keyboardkat wrote:...I think the LIRR retained the option to recall some of those units if necessary.
That's correct, you see the LIRR exercise this option when it snows, they'll use the NY&AR units on snow extras.
 #1064751  by Backshophoss

The Power Packs are history,there were only a few MP-15DC's that were modified to provide 650 dc HEP for the P-72's.
And could onty power 4-5 cars at the most. Don't think any of the remaining MP-15's are able to do that.
 #1064761  by workextra

Regardless of ownership. To answer the above question none of the remaining p72s on the island were ex EMU, so in theory if they were restored to passenger serviceable condition all they would need to move is a mp15ac or recalled gp38-2 for propulsion only.
Hotel power would be supplied by the under car gensets.
In theory if the money for a full restpration was available there is nothing preventing the cars from running again.
Last edited by workextra on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1064891  by keyboardkat

Let's be clear. The P-72s were not former EMUs. They were originally locomotive-hauled cars equiped with steam heat and undercar diesel power packs for lighting, air conditioning, water cooler and blower. Later when the steam heat was removed and electric heat installed, they got larger undercar alternators providing 200v. for the electric heat. These cars thus became stand-alone with regard to HEP.

The converted EMUs were designated PP-72s, as well as PP-75s (the former 1964 Worlds Fair cars), and they required an external source of 650v. d.c. for HEP. The straight P-72s did not require an outside power source for HEP.
For those who don't remember the original incarnations of these cars, I can understand it is confusing because the P-72s and EMU MP-72s and T-72 trailers and T-72 cabless MU motor cars all shared the same carbody and for the uninitiated, look exactly alike.
 #1065148  by RGlueck

The Kat's out of the bag. I never realized the difference myself. I had no idea the steam heat had been removed. I figured they were simply MU cars. Check another off my bucket list, albeit fairly low on that list.