Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#2834  by bingdude

Yesterday I wasn't paying close attention, so I checked it again today...

One of the enclosed hoppers they are using to haul the radioactive dirt in that are laid up West of Hicksville is on the ground. It is on that long siding on the North that used to go to the building FedEx now uses. Looks like it was pushed really hard. It is up against the roadbed of the mainline.

Better not tell Josh...

:-0

#5572  by bingdude

All cleaned up.

Although that siding is now out of alignment.

I hope they don't need to lay up the rail train there anytime soon.

#5577  by Legio X

Will the LIRR fix the track and roadbed, or will the NYA have to? Also, speaking of Hicksville, there are NYA decals visible on the doors of the warehouse at the entrance to the yard on W. John St.

#5653  by freightguy

Your are correct about the decals on the side of old freight house on W. John St. This is where our new crop of railroaders are currently being trained. It is actually a relatively large building. This is talks of starting a job out of this terminal in the not too distant future. The track in Atlantic pipe(derailed car) will most like be fixed by the LIRR. It is a fully interlocked siding and belongs to them. I am going to request a real bumping block be placed at the East End of the siding. Not two railroad ties in the upright position. Especially if the trains are going to be as large as management claims they're going to be in the next year or so.

GREG :)

#5799  by Legio X

Has NYA approached the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx about rail service via that spur? It would entail upgrading the spur. If you look from a passing W/B train, you can see track in the Post Office rear parking/loading area curving away from the LIRR r.o.w. This track is'nt connected to the spur. Anyone know when the Post Office was last served by rail, and when the spur was cut?
 #10085  by bingdude

Just before NYA got the contract I met a guy in the LIRR Publicity Dept. and I asked him why they don't do mail. The answer was something like "because we don't."

It's really up to the USPS. If they see a good reason to bring LMH cars to Hicksville, then it might happen. Right now it looks like they don't. :(

#10089  by jayrmli

There was talk of a mail train out of Hicksville a few years back, when Amtrak was gung-ho on the mail and express business. The plan was originally to move out of Hicksville to Yard A, where it would be handed off to Amtrak. This plan was then moved from Hicksville to Huntington (why I have no idea.)

Eventually, as Amtrak has moved away from the express business and concentrated on moving passengers, the plan was dropped.

Jay