Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#41032  by IslesFan

metroduff wrote:and Why did they name the West Side Yard after him?
I believe he was a state senator. I do remember hearing(correct me if i'm wrong) that he had a teenage daughter that was injured during a grade crossing accident at Herricks Road, which I believe caused them to raise that grade crossing.

Edit: Now I don't know why they named West Side Yard afterhim.

#41066  by LIengineerBob

In all the years that I have worked for the LIRR, not once, never, ever have I heard the yard called by it's "official" name. We all simply know it as "West Side"....although I think someplace in the timetable, it does list the yard by it's "official name" of JD Caemmerer-West Side Storage Yard.

#41068  by SeldenJrFireman

Unfortunately the west side storage yard might have to be renamed Jets stadium level B1.

"600 million for a stadium, but can't spend 6 million to keep firehouses in NYC open?" I don't get it.

(Sorry to stray off topic before)

#41116  by JoeLIRR

SeldenJrFireman,
"600 million for a stadium, but can't spend 6 million to keep firehouses in NYC open?" I don't get it.
I dont get it either, even if the team/teams envolved are going to pay any % of it. If the state can aford to keep fire houses (emergancy facilitys) open and prepared, nor be able to aford to run there mass transet w/o any cuts.

then I can garentee you that there is no way in hell that the state of NY has a single penny for a west side statium. and if somthing stupid like that happen w/the state being broke then I think Washing DC. and the United States supreme Courts need to check NYS out, because there is really somthing fishy bout this.

Drawing/ model building by privite non state reembursed ferms is all thats really acceptible.

#41117  by N340SG

Don't forget the $2 billion to bring the #7 subway over to the stadium. Who's paying for that? (Hint: not the Jets)

Tom
 #41122  by N340SG

All the info in Islesfan's post is correct.
The yard was named after him because he was a champion for mass transit projects and funding, particularly for LIRR.

Tom
 #41128  by Head-end View

Metro: To expand on IslesFan's & N340SG's answer, IIRC Senator Caemmerer was widely known as a transportation advocate. His teenage daughter was by pure luck the only survivor of the van/train collision at the Herricks Rd. crossing in Mineola circa 1982. Something like 9 other kids in the van were killed when the driver went around the gates and they were hit by an eastbound Diesel locomotive powered train.

#41164  by Legio X

There is also a park in Williston Park named for him.
 #41213  by IslesFan

N340SG wrote:All the info in Islesfan's post is correct.
The yard was named after him because he was a champion for mass transit projects and funding, particularly for LIRR.

Tom
I understand that they named West side because he was a big help for lirr funding, but is there a reason why West Side, and not something else was named for him?
 #41387  by N340SG

I couldn't find anything useful on Google. IIRC, he passed away around the time WSSY was being built, or at least there were firm plans to build it. Someone just came up with the idea to respect him in that manner.
(The yard was named for him already when it opened in 1986.)

#67002  by BMC

He was a NYS State Sen. and was heavily involved with Mass Transit issues. His daughter was as posted before the sole survivor of that horrific Mineola grade crossing accident.

There is (or was) a plaque just outside of the Yardmaster's office up in the control tower that has his name on it.

#67024  by 7 Train

What was the opening date for Caemmerer Yard? I believe it was circa 1987, coinciding with Main Line electrfication to Ronkonkoma. IIRC, it opened in three stages. There was a site that has some info, but it was lost.

#67075  by BMC

I know we opened in phases as far as amount of trains so that the computerized board, routing and traffic flow could be reviewed on a "crawl before you walk" plan.

#67418  by lirrmike

About this guys' daughter, and her accident. Didn't the other families sue the LIRR for the accident? I know this is way off topic, but how dare they sue someone else for the wrong their kids did! If I remember the accident, they went around the downed gates and were hit. Was that the RR's fault? Did they apologize to the train crew? I think not! Another reason why the public has to pay (you didn't think the MTA paid out of their pocket?) for someone else's wrong doing.

Off soap box now.

Mike