Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#29207  by LIRRNOVA55

just herd! anyone else have any news on how lirr' s history is disolving
i never been this pissed in a very long time

#29212  by Retroboy

Just thought this would help to anyone who dose not know of 193:

The rotary snowplow was built at the Cooke Locomotive and Machine Works, Paterson NJ, in November 1898 with builder's number 55.

The snowplow weighs 67 1/2 tons and the rotary blade assembly is 9' 8" in diameter. The plow exhibits a number of conditions that effect its integrity. The paint scheme is incorrect. The headlight is missing. Almost all of the cab interior is missing -brake valves, gauges, piping, window sashes, window glass, doors, injectors, steam valves, and builders' plates. The boiler jacket is missing. The interior of the boiler was patched by the railroad. The rear cab wall is pulled loose at the weld with the deck. The exterior is in somewhat better shape. The triple valve air brake system is in place. The main air reservoir is of light weight construction with lap seam rivetted joints and folded ends. This form of construction connotes that the air reservoir is original. The air pump and pump hatch are missing. Portions of the rear breast beam and wood floor are missing; what remains is rotten. The car body has some penetrating rust, but is in overall good condition. The ash pan box has rusted through and the screening is missing. The plow's trucks are original arch bar style with wood bolsters. The flanger and associated rigging is missing from the undercarriage. The rotary blade assembly is in remarkably good condition, exhibiting only minor wear and damage.

The plow's present tender is a Pennsylvania Railroad tender that, after 1940, replaced the original wood-frame tender. The Long Island Railroad was a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania, therefore the tender replacement reflects normal railroad operating procedures. This tender was built about 1924 and carried 10,000 gallons of water and 10 tons of coal. The tender body and top deck are in good condition. The deck water hatches and coal bunker hatches are solid. The side sills and center sill appear in good condition; however, the front and back tender trucks supporting the center casting are breaking down into visible striations. The stem wind hand brake, chains and reach rod for the cylinders, apron between tender and plow deck, hood and cab curtains, and the doors on the water tank legs are missing.

The rotary presently exhibits active rust, vandalism and other forms of deterioration

Statement of Significance:

Between 1885 and 1903, the Cooke Works built 64 rotaries under contract for the Rotary Steam Snow Shovel Manufacturing Company in Paterson, NJ- After the American Locomotive Company acquired Cooke, Brooks, Rogers, and Schenectady, 71 more rotaries were built. Number 193, built in 1898, was purchased by the Long Island Railroad and operated on that railroad until its retirement in 1965. In 1968 two railroad enthusiasts purchased the plow and tender. They sold it to the Steamtown Foundation in 1988. After the Foundation's purchase, the snowplow continued to sit in New Jersey on the Black River and Western Railroad, where it had been since 1968, until July 1993 when Steamtown NHS contracted with Conrail to move the equipment to the park.

One hundred forty-four steam rotary snowplows were built under the aegis of Cooke and the American Locomotive Company. Only 12 rotary plows are known to survive in the United States. Number 193 is the sole surviving steam rotary snowplow known to have been used on a railroad east of the Mississippi. Degradation from vandalism, exposure, and lack of upkeep have compromised the original structure to such an extent that this equipment is non-contributing.

Bibliography:

Chappell, Gordon. "Special History Study, Flanged Wheels on Steel Rails: The Railroad Cars of Steamtown." United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service, Draft, 1991, n.p.

Steamtown NHS Library, Building Files, "Long Island RR Snowplow 193."

:wink:

#29291  by RRChef

Where or who did you hear this from? I seriously doubt it's true but, it should be verified.

#29292  by RRChef

Go to the thread Check out this pic and read Paul's post of June 4th. I tend to put stock in what Paul knows about this.

#29297  by Paul

What is the basis of this statement about Steamtown scrapping 193? This is contrary to personal contacts I had with Steamtown personel last month concerning the 193. I would like to know who said what and when.

#29321  by LIRRNOVA55

im sorry bout this guys, SOMEONE from here played a prank on me...
again im sorry about this, and paul, did steamtown mention restoing this old girl when you talked to them?

#29949  by LIRRNOVA55

check out the link in my sig guys, we need all we can get- :P
site was closed
Last edited by LIRRNOVA55 on Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#29952  by DutchRailnut

is it for sale ?? on spot restoration???
how much are you willing to contribute, a project like that will run into thousands or ten thousands of $$$.

#30135  by jayrmli

Does Steamtown even know that you're doing this?

I'm all for preserving a piece of LIRR history, but it should be done the proper way. There's nothing worse than getting railfans interested in a project and then pulling the rug out from under them.

Jay

#30161  by Lupo 10

Paul,

Jay is right. Have you gone to Steamtown officials with this? Also, your site's appearance looks great but you have a few spelling errors. Just a heads up.

Joe

#30170  by Paul

Lupo & Jay:First of all, I did not make the initial post. I only answered the post becouse I felt the posting was bunk and contradictory to comunication I had with Steamtown management. I agree with Jay. Also, she is safe at Steamtown and if Steamtown desires to dipose of 193 at a later date then that is their right. I am also sure that if Steamtown catches wind of that web site, then they might force it to be closed down. While having 193 on Long Island and operational (just think how she could "save" the LIRR during a nasty winter) is a great fantasy, it is only going to that in reality. Wake up and smell the diesel fumes guys.

#30172  by LIRRNOVA55

i called steamtown, talked about condition, she is solid not falling apart, rite when i was gonna tell them my plans my phone cut out, ill call them back later. i will close that site as i dont like it anyway

#30194  by jayrmli

Just be careful. You don't want to do something you may be sorry you did later on, and the rest of us will be sorry you did it as well.

I would recommend taking the site down until you have permission from Steamtown to:

a) place such a website online
b) have the authority to gather volunteers to work on the rotary
c) have the ability to raise sufficient funds to do the work ***THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!***
d) all the necessary ducks in a row (insurance, plan for restoration, what will be done with it once it's restored, etc.)

And please, make your goals realistic. The chance of this piece running again I'mm 99.9% sure will never happen. Please also realize that if it's your goal to return it to Long Island, Steamtown might not be so happy with your endeavor. Remember, it is theirs, not yours.

Jay

#30203  by LIRRNOVA55

1.) sites down
2.) i have a plan
3.) 100% chance it will never run again
4.) my plan will never happen so i give up

#30206  by Long island Joe

Jay You Are SO Right About What Your Saying