Railroad Forums 

• Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn Terminal

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1419961  by SwingMan

In a day and age where people are becoming less responsible to their own personal awareness, the safe thing would be to keep the rules as they are. When people fall in said gap, a greater portion than not will not take responsibility for their own actions.
 #1426875  by RailTrek

onorclose7 wrote:The gap on the eastern most car has a big gap on track one. The curve is the opposite way on track two therefore there is no gap. If you are in such a hurry to depart the train, why don't you get on in the front?
"Crowding" up front is a reason why so many got hurt when the train hit the bumper at Atlantic Terminal a couple of months ago. I have a number of thoughts on this.

First - Lets not all forget that the ONLY REASON why the gap issue became one, is because an under-age, drunk young woman, who was the daughter of a U.S. representative from Minnesota fell in between the gap and the platform. Despite being told by many screaming people to stay down, she got up and was unfortunately killed by the train.

Second. Atlantic Terminal would be a prime candidate for gap filling moving platforms. Atlantic Terminal is climate controlled, which is an essential part to employing this technology.

Third - Not opening all of the doors does create a potentially dangerous situation, such as with the bumper hit, where panicked riders, cannot get off the train, causing them to use emergency exits, which cause more damage.

Fourth. Time - As we all who MUST commute to and from work know, time is of the essence, and even a one minute delay adds up over time. When you ride the train 260 days a year, those minutes mean something.
 #1427599  by John_Perkowski

Admin note:

The dining car waiter dropped a bowl of B&O Cornbread Pie. I've cleaned up the mess.
 #1445932  by NIMBYkiller

I tried to find it in previous threads about the Atlantic Branch but no luck. I'm working on a personal fantasy idea and was curious, at the current eastern portal for VD yard, what is the height of the tunnel? Long story short, I'm trying to figure out if at a 2 percent grade there would be enough distance to dive from the existing eastern portal to the pass below the trackway of the new western portal. The distance is about 1400 ft, so that allows a 28 ft dive if I did my math right. From what I can see, the western portal sits lower than the eastern one as well. Does anyone know the ground level of both portals?
 #1473203  by Jeff Smith

New yard connection opening: Newsday.com

Note: article may either be behind a payroll, or you may have to turn off your ad blocker. I am able to see it having done the latter.

Video: Newsday.com video
LIRR: New path to Atlantic Terminal may ease commuter delays
Beginning Wednesday, LIRR trains will use a west portal to directly access the Vanderbilt Yard rail storage site in Brooklyn.

A direct new pathway for Long Island Rail Road trains traveling from Atlantic Terminal to an adjacent rail yard will reduce delays for tens of thousands of Brooklyn commuters, LIRR officials said Wednesday.

The completion of what’s being called the “West Portal” is the latest milestone in the privately funded, half-billion-dollar transformation of the LIRR’s Vanderbilt Yard in the shadow of the Barclays Center in Downtown Brooklyn.

For more than a century, routing a train from Atlantic Terminal into the yard, where it would be cleaned and serviced, required a complicated and time-consuming set of movements. Trains would have to travel east from the station about three-quarters of a mile, and then back west again through the only portal leading to the adjacent outdoor rail yard.
The new access point is among more than $500 million in upgrades promised to the LIRR by private builder Greenland Forest City Partners as a condition of an agreement to allow the Barclays Center to be built partially on top of the original Vanderbilt Yard.

In addition to relocating the yard’s storage tracks, Greenland Forest City Partners is installing new signal and switches, new sewage connections for servicing train bathrooms, a new electrical substation and an employee facility. The improvements are expected to be completed next year.