• Find a solution to this problem

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by arcingcatenary

With this Upcoming Photo Ban gaining steam,there has to be something we can do,or else things will not only never be the same,they will get even worse.For example,in the beginning,fines may be levied against those who take pictures,then as time goeson,arrests may happen.
There has to be some idea that oneof us can come up with that will allow us to keep taking photos.
25 years ago,Curtis Sliwa founded the Guardian Angels.There are a lot of brilliant people on this forum that can and should be able,to come up with something that allows us to take pictures,and also be a valued asset for the LIRR in some way.
My own idea is to have a undercover volunteer service that helps out with security on the railroad.For example,we can have people patrol a certain station or stations near where they live.We would be taking pictures but at the same time notifying the MTA police if we see a pontential problem developing,hence they can arrive at the scene quickly.This would not be easy to do,as it would require patrolling stations at all different times,and in different weather.People,and even the MTA police may scoff at this idea,but so be it.Sucess cannot be achieved without hard work and a few setbacks along the way,but it can work.Some of you on this forum may laugh at my idea or say it sucks,is stupid etc.Thats fine,if you can come up with a better plan on your own.Either way,we CANNOT remain dormant on this issue,we must take action,because if we DONT,then we will all regret it down the road.

If anyone likes my idea,andwould like to discuss it with me further,go to my profile and e-mail me and we can get together and discuss this.

by CLiner2005

Your post has merit. Getting law enforcement agencies to cooperate with this idea is, obviously, key. I have been involved with volunteer work with my local Police Department for the past five years. I was responsible in organizing a V.I.P.S. (Volunteers In Public Safety) program here in St. George. First, you must have the ear, and cooperation, of the Chief of Police, Director, Superintendent, Sheriff or whatever title the head of law enforcement in your community (ies) is known as.

Committment by the volunteer is essential. We require a minimum amount of hours, clerical, community relations, patrol, parking and ordinance enforcement etc. Each jurisdiction has different protocols and assignments that volunteers are asked to perform.

Background checks are a given, as well as drug tests. Again, each agency has different requirements. MTA and local law enforcement agencies on Long Island may or may not have a volunteer program - or an interest in such an activity. At one time, most communties in the U.S.A. did not have volunteer programs - now it is the norm. Properly administered, a well trained group of volunteers can be a definite asset to the security concerns of agencies such as MTA/LIRR.

Again, it cannot be just a means of obtaining an I.D. card, it has to be the willingness of volunteers to be of assistance to the railroads/subways - then perhaps the perks of being an "authorized photographer" can be realized while not on-duty.

Go to "GOOGLE" and type in Police Volunteers and/or Volunteers In Public Safety. This will give you some excellent information and avenues to explore if this would be interest to you and the folks who want to be hassle-free in the quest of rail photography.

Hopefully, MTA/LIRR - and other involved police agencies - would be receptive to getting a dialog going to address this issue.

by DogBert

I think it's a good idea so long as there is some type of background check on who's in on it.

The NYPD has an extensive auxillary police that is an asset to the city - perhaps the NYPD and MTA need to get together and create something of an undercover or even uniformed auxillary unit just for antiterrorism. it's a win win situation - the volunteers get to take photos and know even more about a system or railway they love, and the government gets dedicated volunteers helping keep the rails safe.

I'd do it. I do it already, not in any official capacity of course, but whenever I'm on the subway I keep an eye out and on everything and everyone.

Now the question is, how could we get their ear, and even if we did, would they listen and see the inherit logic in it? Afterall, we are talking about people who insisted on DE/DM units, and any number of other fiascos...

And even if they didn't go for the idea, is something like the guardian angels a good independant option? Would enough people do it? How can volunteers be background checked?

-Db Aka Joe
http://photographersrights.mtude.com/