Railroad Forums 

• Friday June 25th 7:00 AM at Mineola.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#27717  by arcingcatenary

I will be at the Mineola Station at 7AM on this upcoming Friday morning to take some pictures.There is a lot of action during the morning rush hour,if any one cares to jon me I will be at the pedestrian crossing which is located just west of the Main Street crossing.There is a deli that we can have breakfast at after the rush hour,some gorgeous women frequent the place.let me know.
 #27783  by Head-end View

Well, 7 AM is a little early in the morning for me, but thanks anyway. I often frequent that location later in the day on my work breaks. Also: be aware that if the Nassau Tower operator or the train engineers see you taking photos they might report you to their dispatcher, who may send the MTA Police to check you out.

Not sure which deli you're thinking of, but a couple of good places in that neighborhood are on the west side of Mineola blvd on the second block north of the bridge and a bakery on Main St. also about a block and-a-half north of the grade crossing. Have fun!

#27798  by emfinite

If you'll be there, I'd like to meet up with you. I'll probably be free on Friday morning so I'll let you know. Email me at the address in my profile and we could work things out. If you're able to stay a little bit later, around 10am or so the New York & Atlantic freight passes through there.

Joe

#27858  by lirrmike

A good spot to take pictures is east of crossing past the station on the northside in a parking lot. It's right next to the Oyster Bay cutoff tracks.

Mike

#27868  by arcingcatenary

Head end,I was stopped last year about a half dozen times by the MTA police,and I will probably get stopped again,oh well so be it.

lirr mike,I know which parking lot you are talking about,it is the Fox's parking lot (for those of you who want to know,Fox's is a womens clothes store where .......well lets say some pretty FOXY women frequent that store)Tht is actually a terrific place to watch the action.
 #28116  by Head-end View

True enough "Arc", but which kind of action are ya' watching there, or maybe both? :D :D

BTW, if the MTA Police talk to you enough times, maybe they'll get to know you and stop hasseling you. Maybe even put you on their "frequent flier" list...........chuckle. Were they satisfied with your explanation; did they tell you to stop taking photos?

#28191  by arcingcatenary

I was told to stop taping on several occasions,but I just held my ground,and said that I was not breaking the law.
 #28248  by Head-end View

Hey Arc, my brain just woke up. I just realized that I'll be working night shifts later this week, and I'll be getting off work about 7:15 AM. My job is a few blocks from the Mineola Station, & I'll try to make a quick detour & drive by the Main St. crossing on my way home. I'll look for you there, or by the pedestrian crossing. Watch for a red car with a scanner antenna on the trunk. See you then. :)

#28267  by NIMBYkiller

I'll be there a bit late. First bus don't leave til 6:39, so I'll get there round 7:20. Hopefully y'all still gonna be there.

This may actually work out very well for me if I get my job with Greyhound. That way I can go straight to work from there. Sweet.

Too bad the wing place aint open that early in the morn. They truely are the best damn wings on LI.

Pedestrian crossing, the grade one, or the bridge one? Hopefully the grade one. That is one of the best spots at Mineola station for pics(the westbound side). Hope to see all y'all!

#28283  by emfinite

Jared, those were really good wings... Stick around until they open and we'll get a few :P

#28327  by Indiana_Doc

Mineola is a great spot to watch trains. I've been watching trains at Mineola since the early 80's. Actually my mom would take me down there when I was an infant. My parents said the only thing that would make me stop crying were the trains whizzing by. Now that I live in Indy I only make it down there a few times a year.

The Main Street crossing is one of the best spots!

Have fun guys.

Indiana

#28456  by arcingcatenary

I will be at the pedestrian grade crossing.I am looking foward to meeting everyone.I know you will enjoy the rush hour.

#28546  by NIMBYkiller

Joe:
Only if I don't have a job that day, but either way, I'll probably still be broke. Just laid all my green down to get 4 roles of film developed, and to get a new CD(one of the rolls is our Mineola winter trip, came out awesome).

Indiana_Doc:
My parents said it was the same with me. My mom said when we lived in Brooklyn, to get me to shut up, my dad would take me under the Manhattan bridge and I'd fall asleep to the sound of the subways.

#28605  by Mr Met

the best wings on LI are from smokeing Al's in bay shore

#28667  by emfinite

Arc,

I sent you an email back, I don't know if you got it... I'll be there at the crossing around the time you want to catch that DM going through. I think I included my cell phone number too.

Anyone else want to join? I'll probably take a ride to Jamaica after that and see whats going on over there.

Joe