Railroad Forums 

• Long Island City and Hunterspoint Ave.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#27855  by bluebelly

Dave Keller wrote:JJ:

You are absolutely correct.

I meant the term "Montauk cutoff" in this instance to refer to the access to the Montauk branch from the Atlantic branch via the underjump and related trackage past the Richmond Hill Storage Yard.

Didn't mean to confuse!

Dave Keller
But the underjump pictured does not give access to the Montauk Branch from the Atlantic Branch. It gives access from the Strorage Yard to the Atlantic Branch via Dunton interlocking by passing under the Montauk Branch.

And BTW HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all it applies to.

#27950  by Dave Keller

According to maps I have drawn in the late 1950s, an indirect connection is shown to the Montauk branch. It isn't shown as a direct, at-speed connection, such as the underjump at Rego Park for the Rockaway branch, however it appears form the map that this connection was able to be done from the Atlantic branch.

What do you remember JJ? You were there, I wasn't! I'm just going from old maps. :wink:

Dave Keller

#27954  by dukeoq

Dave and Bluebelly.
The connection shown in the picture, popularly known as 'The Hole' connected the Storage yard and the interlocked track known as 'The Hump'. More officially 'Westward Freight'
This track led between Dunton and Jay and the only connection to the Atlantic Branch from the Storage Yard would be via a reverse move.
Until sometime in the late fifties, there was a hand thrown cross-over between the west end of #1 Storage Yard and #1 Montauk allowing trains made up for Long Island City to leave for that terminal without going throgh Jay on a reverse move.
I'm not sure, but I think that there was a facing point cross-over, also hand thrown, between #s1&2 Mtk, allowing eastbound trains to pull right in.
These, of course were non-revenue trains.
The Storage Yard was extensively rebuilt around that time to be able to handle the long parlor car trains for Montauk and Greenport.
Those trains would be made up on the lengthened #1&2 tracks and the crossover could no longer be used.
JJ Earl

#27955  by bluebelly

JJ, thanks, I realizes that track configurations have changed over the years. Today the Westward freight is know as the Westbound Brooklyn Freight, and it is also still called the Hump. According to the special instructions, though not a main track it is part of the Atlantic Branch.

#27980  by Dave Keller

Thanx JJ!

I appreciate the clarification as well as the confirmation!

Dave Keller

#29905  by Dave Keller

A quick note from retired LIRR engineer Mark Smith about the photo I submitted earlier of the K4s backing into the tunnel at "DUNTON."

Dave Keller

Dave
That K-4 was passing under the Montauk line from Jamaica to Long Island City. If going to Long Island City it would go up the lead to Jay tower for a reverse move onto the Montauk Branch and proceed West right over the tracks above where the photo was taken.
Mark

#30200  by jhdeasy

Here is my 1978 photo of an eastbound LIRR train departing Hunterspoint Avenue in Long Island City. AQUEBOGUE or ASHAROKEN is on the rear.