Railroad Forums 

• Long Island City and Hunterspoint Ave.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#26083  by Indiana_Doc

How come the railroad only runs trains to LIC and HP during rush hour? As long as I can remember (early 80s) those western terminals were only used at rush hour. Did they receive more action in the past?

Indiana

#26086  by Dave Keller

Back in 1973 and 1974 when I worked as a summer Special Services Attendant, we worked many Montauk-bound parlor trains from Hunterspoint Avenue, leaving in the late afternoon/early evening if I remember correctly.

Also, LIC had LOTS of passenger activity in years past. Many trains pulled by steam locomotive as well as electric DD1s originated out of LIC.

How far back do you wish to go? LIC once was the main terminal of the LIRR and the depot housed the LIRR offices before a massive fire destroyed the building and most of the LIRR employee records as well as other important documents.

Commuters would take the train to LIC, disembark and take the LIRR's ferries over to 34th street.

The fire at LIC and the opening of the tunnels under the East River into Penn Station in 1910, as well as the construction of the new LIRR terminal and offices at Jamaica in 1913 helped to slow down the activity at LIC, however it still had substantial traffic into the the 1950s!

Dave Keller

#26095  by Indiana_Doc

From the 70's to the present. Why such a severe decline?

Indiana

#26106  by krispy

I would venture two things - decline in use of ferries to Manhattan and also decline in pax to LIC. LIC once boasted a tremendous manufacturing industry and supported considerable workforce commuters. This dwindled as the neighborhood changed. The is neighborhood changing again and may support more commuters in the future as museums/fartists, etc. slug it out over the empty factories with real estate. What surviving manufacturing is getting trampled in the process.

LIC's history is pretty interesting, nose around the net for the historical groups and you'll get an earful of rail history as well, especially if you catch a walking tour...

#26275  by timz

DD1s pulled trains out of LIC? To Jamaica? Any idea why?

#26329  by Dave Keller

Here's one coupled to a passenger train and ready to depart eastward in 1950: a very common site for many years.

In the background can be seen the power plant.

My archive has many images of DD1s on passenger trains at LIC shot in the 1940s and early 1950s.

Dave Keller

#26338  by Dave Keller

Here are a couple of more old Hunterspoint Avenue shots.

Dave Keller

#26341  by Dave Keller

Dave Keller

#26342  by Dave Keller

Dave Keller

#26423  by NIMBYkiller

Amazing, HP av has not changed one bit lookin at those pics. Even that sign with the destinations and departure times is still there.

#26433  by 7 Train

When ESA is complete, the LIC area will have a full-time Sunnyside station at Queens Blvd. similar to Woodside with service both directions 24/7.

Anyway, here's the current LIC timetable:

To Jamaica

leave 3:24, 4:28, 4:54, 5:30, 5:52

To LIC

arrive 7:34, 8:07, 8:34, 8:44, 9:38

#26634  by timz

In 1950 the first scheduled train out of LIC was around 3:50 PM, wasn't it? So is the DD1 in the pic hauling some extra, or is it just waiting for a few hours? Why use a DD1 out of LIC-- was the train going to terminate in third-rail territory?

(Looking in the old timetables I was surprised to see that in June 1947 there were no locomotive-hauled trains scheduled out of LIC over the Main Line: there were two MUs, one to Jamaica and one to Queens, and the Oyster Bay train via the Montauk. Then by 1949 the familiar pattern had started. Why the change?)

#26706  by Dave Keller

Timz:

This response from retired LIRR engineer Mark Smith concerning the DD1s at LIC:

Dave
When power was changed at Jamaica, DD-1s went to New York and many times backed out of PENN Sta with a reverse move at Harold to L.I. City to lay up the train. Same in reverse in the P.M.
MARK

Hope this helps!
Dave Keller

#26851  by timz

Yes, that helps. So as far as anybody knows DD1s never pulled scheduled trains out of LIC-- just equipment?

(Okay, let's say a DD1 has just arrived NY Penn with a LIRR train, and the same consist is to return east in the afternoon and is to lay over in LIC during the day. Should we...

Back the train to Sunnyside, around the loop, and back into LIC, then in the afternoon pull forward to Harold and back to NY Penn, or

Cut the DD1 off and run around the train, pull to Harold, back to LIC, then in the afternoon as above?)

#26870  by krispy

I was taught that the DD's were used to pull pax trains from LIC and Penn into Jamaica, go into 4 or 5 track, cut off the DD into an E yard track, and then put a steam eng onto that train from a adjacent E yard track. This was the purpose of the E yard tracks, which originally had 3 tracks. Westbounds would cut the Steam eng from 1-5 tracks and the DD would back onto the drag from anywhere with third rail, 0, the Atlantics, etc. The interlocking machines at Jay and Hall had a special traffic feature in the station tracks to facilitate these moves. Remember, this was in the era when electrification extended only to Mineola, then Hicksville. They would also stack trains, or add "sections". For example, they'd take a train out of Penn say for Montauk, cut the DD at Hall's end as described above, bring another steam engine with several cars behind it from Jay, put Greenport people on that and run the whole thing east on the Mainline. When the train would get to Manorville, the first part would separate and go down the track to Eastport, and then the second section would continue east to Greenport. I've heard they brought up cars from Brooklyn in this manner, including supposedly August Belmont's private car which had it's own track in the old station. These electric engines also did freight duty, and at one time third rail ran down the Lower Montauk Jay to Pond for this. I don't know what type of electric engine, DD or whatever, be damned if I could remember...