Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#23726  by Butlershops

Judging from the Union Pacific Big Boy locomotive in the background I am going to guess this picture was taken at Scranton, PA.

#23751  by SeldenJrFireman

It's a shame. Hope it makes it back home to LI, unless whoever has it plans on fully restoring it.

#23758  by DutchRailnut

I think he ment the picture in the link not in his avatar.

#23810  by Retroboy

About the snowplow in PA, why are they clinging to it if they are not going to restore it? why not send it home where there are people who care about it. Has anyone tried to aquire it in the past and if so, what was there reason for holding to it?

#23842  by Nasadowsk

IIRC, that is in fact the LIRR's rotary out there. WTF the NPS wants it for? *shrug*. Last time I was there, Steamtown was more like a deadline with a choo choo ride and shop tour than a museum. That was like 10 years ago though. Nothing like congressional pork....

#23905  by RRChef

Gentlemen;
This topic has been discussed at length both on the previous Railroad.net and on this current edition. If you scroll down on the topic page you will see a thread titled "LIRR 193 and W-83". For those of you who haven't seen these previous threads here is some information:

The Steamtown Foundation aquired 193 in the late 80's from it's previous owners who left it at the Black River and Western for 20 years without any attempt at preservation or conservation. The exterior pictures look bad, but the interior is worse. I was in the unit in the late 80's. NOTHING is left, every gauge, knob, lever and yes, the builder's plate, is missing. None of this is Steamtown's fault. If Steamtown hadn't aquired 193 when they did, it would more than likely not be here today.

Contrary to what some people seem to think, 193 will never run again for many reasons. Parts will be impossible to find and fabrication of new ones will be very costly. Plus, it sits on original archbar trucks with wooden bolsters. The best that could be hoped for is a cosmetic restoration to it's 1940's appearence because that's when the original wooden tender was replaced with an ex-PRR tender.

Why is it in Steamtown's collection? Well, they may be dumb, but they're not stupid. They recognize the fact that 193 is the ONLY exisistng rotary plow from a railroad east of the Mississippi. However, Steamtown has no plans to restore or display 193.

There is no question that this is the most significant piece of LIRR equipment in existence. I for one, agree that it should be returned to the Island. The chances are very good that Steamtown would let 193 go. But, until a restoration plan and money can be put together by one of the established groups here on the Island, the safest place for 193 is at Steamtown.

#23920  by Paul

I have been in contact with the people in Steamtown concerning the rotary. As explained to me, the term "non contribituing" does not nean it will not be restored. It means a classification as to how much is there, original or modified. and of local (ie Scanton) historical value. They do not (as explained to me) have any plans to scrap or sell or trade off the rotary. Time will tell if this is so. From what I gather there are plans in the future for cosmetic restoration.

#23980  by Butlershops

DutchRailnut wrote:I think he ment the picture in the link not in his avatar.
Woops, I think you're correct. Anyone know if there was ever a gasoline pump next to the tracks in Ringoes, NJ? (BR&W).

#25523  by Lupo 10

But, until a restoration plan and money can be put together by one of the established groups here on the Island, the safest place for 193 is at Steamtown.
I couldn't agree more. The 193 would not be any better off on Long Island at this point than it would be a Steamtown. As a matter of fact, depending on where you parked it, it might be worse off on Long Island. There are way too may pieces left on Long Island that need to be tended to. For now, I agree 193 should stay in PA.