Railroad Forums 

• Sperry rail car at Flushing Main St station on PW line

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#23576  by NIMBYkiller

On my way home from the today show this morning, we got held up around the old Elmhurst or Corona station sites. Had to wait for the westbound to pass. Didn't make sense to me at first cuz the line is 2 tracks til Great Neck. I knew there had to be some reason. 5 mintues later, the westbound cleared, we switched over to the westbound track. Saw the Sperry rail car and lots of other equipment and workers on the eastbound track at Flushing station.

We were on the westbound track all the way to where that car recently crashed onto the PW line, just west of the Clearview, I think that's where the 1st switch is that would get us back onto the eastbound track(right at the lil yard).

I was told on subtalk that the midday PW line would be reduced to hourly service on weekdays. I don't know how good of an idea this is considering this train was pretty crowded(keep in mind, this is an EASTbound train at 9:51 Am). It'll be interesting to see.

I knew something was up when I saw the Sperry rail car parked at Shea on Saturday and that MP15 goin eastbound......or was that sunday....
 #23620  by bluebelly

NIMBYkiller wrote: Ii was told on subtalk that the midday PW line would be reduced to hourly service on weekdays. I don't know how good of an idea this is considering this train was pretty crowded(keep in mind, this is an EASTbound train at 9:51 Am). It'll be interesting to see.
Its not a good idea, but it is necessary, It is being done to accomadate track work.

#23829  by NIMBYkiller

Yeah, that I understand. I just hope commuters don't get really pissed off, but knowing them, they will....bummer.

How long is the project supposed to take? How much of the line are they doing? What exactly are they doing?