Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#23374  by alcoc420

I read an article in Newsday yesterday about Charles Wang's proposal to make a "smart" growth development on land near Old Bethpage Village. There is no generally accepted definition of smart growth, but generally it means high density developments with a mix of land uses. Ideally, it means less sprawl, more walkable communities, and less traffic. In reality, it means dense development with remarkably attractive architecture.

This is the third large smart growth proposal on LI. The other two being on the grounds of Pilgrim and Kings Park Psychiatric Centers.

I question the wisdom of high density development located far from the the LIRR. The KP proposal is almost within walking distance. The Pilgrim proposal is rationalized in that it is near the cross roads of the LIE and the Sagtikos Parkway (not the LIRR). The Wang proposal makes the least sense in terms of utilizing mass transit.

Perhaps the most sensible place for a smart growth development is at the Cerro Wire site in Syosset, near the former Landia station. The site is in the permitting stage for a mall. Despiite Long Island's serious shortage of malls, the proposal has been vigorously fought by the Town of Oyster Bay.

Changing zoning in locations far from the LIRR to accommodate major traffic generating development does not seem like the right thing to do. It would seem to me that the LIRR should be looked upon as resource to help reduce highway congestion and air pollution.