Railroad Forums 

• Landia station, where was it?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#22894  by bellstbarn

I am almost positive that Landia had two low-level platforms near Robbins Lane, in an unincorporated part of the Town of Oyster Bay, near the borders of Syosset and Jericho post ofice and school districts (different borders for each). Just south is the Long Island Expressway, twelve-plus lanes. It would be a convenient spot for a huge parking garage and new station, with ramps directly to I-495, but the LIRR says the localities must supply parking, and they restrict parking to locals (Town of Oyster Bay, in question). Worst than a stalemate, nobody will make the first move. I claim the cost should be borne by NY DOT. Currently, there is a big argument about building a new shopping center nearby, at the site of the Cisco wire factory.

#22899  by Retroboy

The Flowerfield station was located on the flowerfield estate between St. james and StonyBrook. About two blocks after the st. james station the tracks bend and the station around there. Today there is nothing left.
 #23005  by mwichten

If you go in the main gate on the Flowerfield Property and proceed to the end of the road, make a left turn and then the last right to the railroad crossing. That was the location of the station. I do not know if there was ever a building or merely a low level platform. The only hint that there was anything there are rails from a siding that diappear into the woods. The turnout was removed sometime during a 1980's track rehabilitation program, but the rails are still in the pavement on the south side of the railroad crossing, go under the fence and into the trees for another 100 feet or so.

Setauket station was located adjacetnt to the underpass on Gnarled Hollow Road. On a Hangstrom dated 1952 part of the road was actually named Railroad Avenue, the part that connects to Sheep Pasture Road.

#23028  by Nasadowsk

Is Landia still in the LIRR's telephone info system? I never figured out WHY it was, either. Unless someone stuck it in as a joke?

#23073  by Dave Keller

If you look in Ron Ziel's "Victorian Stations" book, you'll see nice shots of both Setauket and Flowerfield stations. Nice shots also appear in Kramer and Kraus' paperback LIRR book.

Access to Setauket station was via a sloped, paved drive on the northeast side of the overpass. Last time I was there, the access road was totally overgrown and impassable. The station was razed in October, 1960, but the station stop lasted into the early 1970s.

The Flowerfield station building remained standing for many years after the station stop was discontinued in the 1940s. It was razed in July, 1959.

Landia station consisted solely of low platforms. It was opened in 1951 and discontinued as a station stop around 1972. Its main purpose was to service employees of Circle Wire, which later became Cerro Wire. Their building was just a short walk from the station stop.

Dave Keller

#23167  by jayrmli

As was posted above, Landia was at the Robbins Lane railroad crossing.

Jay

#23212  by NIMBYkiller

Thank you all!

#23274  by Paul

I seem to recall that during heavy snow storms the trains e/b would not stop at Setauket as they would get stuck pulling the grade from a dead stop. Anyone comfirm this?

#23278  by krispy

Setauket must have been a real bear in bad weather period. It's almost at the base of a valley with steep sides, especially coming east. I used to love the old diesel equipment when you had a trainee or a someone slightly sadistic, and they'd let the slack out coming off of that grade. All of the drunks would turn green, and one time I was on that Hunterspoint to Pt. Jeff that had the bar car, and I'd hear them hooting and hollering in the car ahead when the train came down that hill. That must have been a fun one to execute a station stop in the fall during leaf season...

#23330  by Nasadowsk

I've heard that Cold Spring Harbor can be fun for diesels in the fall, too.

Anyone at the head end want to give us a run down of the worst stations to pull into / leave on the LIRR and why? The answers might be interesting...

#23363  by Dave Keller

Here is part of an anecdote sent to me by retired LIRR engineer Mark Smith: Dave Keller

"The Long Island leased many PRR locomotives for use in addition to their power. The K4 was the largest passenger locomotive used on our lines. They were used on the heavy commuter trains on all but the Oyster Bay branch."

'When operating them out of Port Jefferson on a 14 or 15 car train I used to feel that they almost acted human in some of their actions. They would grunt and groan as you were making up your train in the morning, getting out of bed, stretch and yawn for the first station stop, just had a cup of coffee, then at the second stop at Stony Brook, with a white-hot fire roaring in the firebox and ready to dig in and do the job: and they DID the job."

'I used to just get a little roll on the downgrade after leaving Port Jeff into Setauket, work them a little climbing out of Setauket into Stony Brook and then they were ready for work."

#23378  by alcoc420

Re Nasadowsk's question. I would also be interested in knowing which stations are tough. Using MSTS, eastbound to Kings Park is the hardest on the PJ branch. Admittedly, a homemade layout on a computer simulation is no substitute for reality, but you come eastbound off the Bread and Cheese Hollow Road trestle near 65MPH, the rr crests just east of the parkway, you need to slow down-grade toward Fox1, but maintain momentum upgrade into the station without overshooting the station. Or no one says you need to try go 65 for as long as possible.

In the real world, over the years I have noticed a few times C420's, MP15's and GP38's almost stop 10 car lengths west of the station. Then the engineer would have to get the train moving into the station. I always figured these were new engineers who were overly cautious.

#23574  by NIMBYkiller

One engineer I see every now and then told me the OB line is another that is a real pain when it comes to grades.

#23605  by jayrmli

Engineers that run over the mountain at Altoona would get a chuckle over the problems of running on the mountainous terrain of the Port Jeff and Oyster Bay Branches. :P

Jay