Railroad Forums 

• Fifteen extras to Belmont Stakes!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#25899  by spiker 1

west leg of wye has cwr with pandrol clips for about 10 yrs.
 #25906  by bingdude

rbenko wrote:Oy Vey - the crowds leaving Belmont were BRUTAL!!

The LIRR's plan to run one every 15 minutes until 9:00 was woefully inadequate - it seems they ended up running more than that (and later than that), but it still wasn't nearly enough. The experience made me long to be sitting in a car in traffic - at least I would have been comfortable. I will NEVER, EVER take the train home from a Belmont Stakes again - it was an absolutely miserable experience. .
Wow! Sounds like a ride I had in Boston back in the 70s-- PCC cars packed to the gills with sweaty people. No AC and no movement for what seemed like hours.

#25908  by jayrmli

I believe the Belmont Stakes had over 120,000 people attending, and was the largest attended sports event ever in New York State. I'm sure those who drove didn't fare any better trying to get home. Waiting a little while when leaving any sporting event is normal. Waiting longer for a larger and well-attended event is normal as well.

Jay

#25992  by rbenko

Don't get me wrong - I'm a mass-transit man through and through. But all I could think of when I was sitting in the 'cattle chute' for 90 minutes, and especially when I was sitting on a hot, unmoving packed train was: I wish I was sitting in my car. I could be listening to music, with the windows down, breathing relatively fresh air, without a mass of sweaty people inches from me. If I had to sit in traffic for two hours, so be it - like I said before, I would of at the very least been comfortable.

The LIRR had fair warning that there would be record crowds for the Belmont Stakes. I'm not sure what it was like in past years using the train to leave - I've taken the train there several times, but have always gotten a ride back. I don't know what more they could have done except run more trains (and use all platforms - what are they saving them for???) - any LIRR dispatchers out there that know the story about how they dispatched trains that night? Must have been interesting.
Last edited by rbenko on Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

#25996  by JoeG

I think the idea of using Belmont as a park-ride is great! I'm going to send a query to the railroad and see if I get a meaningful response. If I do, I'll post it.

#26009  by NIMBYkiller

Like I said, LIRR really should've used bi-levels. They probably didn't have enough though.

#26642  by JoeG

I sent the railroad a query about making Belmont a park ride. Here's their reply:
> Thanks for your e-mail and for your suggestion. This is an idea that has
been presented to our Service Planning Department in the past.
Representatives in that department tell us that there are two reasons why
this suggestion cannot be implemented at this time:
>
> The LIRR does not own the track, platforms or parking lots at Belmont
Park. All of these facilities are owned, operated and maintained the New
York Racing Authority (NYRA). An agreement would need to be reached with
NYRA for the use of their facilities.
>
> Although we currently operate a limited number of trains into and out of
Belmont Park to serve racetrack patrons, most are operated during off-peak
hours. The track siding to Belmont is not optimally located for westbound
morning rush hour service. For example, a morning rush hour train from
Belmont would have to cross over 2 westbound tracks and two eastbound tracks
in order to be properly positioned for westbound local service. This would
create delays for other westbound peak trains on the Hempstead, Port
Jefferson, Ronkonkoma and Montauk Branches.
>