Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by george matthews

My wife is thinking of taking the route from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson and then to JFK.

Are there likely to be any problems if we can be sure of the times? Is the ferry reliable, and the train?

by NIMBYkiller

Everyone says the ferry is very reliable, even in bad weather. I think the only problem I've ever heard of with them was when that truck rolled/was driven off the ferry.

As for the train, I think you should be fine. Just don't try to cut back and save too much time, b/c in case something does go wrong, you're screwed. All in all though, I think you should be just fine.

by NIMBYkiller

Oh yeah. Make sure you can get a taxi or Suffolk Transit Bus from the ferry to the train, unless yall like carryin luggage uphill, bout a mile I think it is.

by george matthews

That sounds reassuring. The timetable seems to allow plenty of slack. It should be an interesting journey, first from Old Saybrook.

by Nasadowsk

The Ferry is quite reliable. It *slow* however. You'll want a taxi to the LIRR station. Remember to check your schedules and leave 'buffer room' in it - PJ service isn't exactly like Ronkonkoma :( You don't want to get hung up on the ferry, then wait a few hrs for the next train.

Transfer at Jamacia for the JFK Airtrain. Fast and frequent. Don't forget to check which terminal you need to go to, there's a list on the train though.

by george matthews

Thanks for all the information. I think she probably will take this trip. There is plenty of time in her schedule.

by Nasadowsk

Then it'll be fun. PJ is a nice town, the PJ to Jamacia trip gives a great exposure to the LIRR, and Airtrain is a lot better than people say...

by george matthews

>> Airtrain is a lot better than people say...<<

She has already experienced it on the first leg of the trip. It seems to have been all right. Then, she took it to NY Penn station and Amtrak to Old Saybrook. She wants to try a different route for the second leg.

by george matthews

Nasadowsk wrote:Then it'll be fun. PJ is a nice town, the PJ to Jamaica trip gives a great exposure to the LIRR, and Airtrain is a lot better than people say...
I can report that the trip went successfully. She was delayed on the Connecticut side by an accident on the main line and missed the ferry she hoped to get but there was enough slack in her schedule to catch the next ferry.

by NIMBYkiller

Glad to see it went fairly well.

by Lupo 10

By the way Nimbykiller, that truck rolling off the ferry happened on the Cross Sound ferry not the Port Jefferson/Bridgeport ferry. Just for clarification.