Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#20052  by Nasadowsk

Ok, I remember an old topic on the old board about reviving the MP-54 that's up at the Ct trolley museum. Did anyone ever approach them with this idea? I'd LOVE to see one of those things running again...

#20083  by walt

It would be interesting, but you might have to have two of them. There were some versions that the PRR wouldn't run as single units because it was felt that one car didn't have sufficient braking power. I don't know how the LIRR felt about their units.

#20086  by BEDT16RMLI

you and me both,
but hey you will need a third rail for it to be true and also um lots of money.
Long Live the 1391!
 #20174  by BMT

Well, if you're able to wrangle one of those MP-54's from either Warehouse Point or Seashore Trolley Museum I'd gladly lend a in getting it in working shape.

Why Long Island or NY in general never had one of them is a mystery....

#20219  by Nasadowsk

The Warehouse Pt one actually ran and was fitted with trolley poles (! It doesn't look 1/2 bad though). I'm not sure WHY they sidelined it, but they've got a mile or two of track and wires up. I don't know if they'd allow a group to revive it (though why not, other than it's not really a trolley car and they kinda do use power).

As for braking - well, it's not going to go fast at a trolley musuem, and well, MP-54s didn't go fast anyway :) IIRC, Seashore's run heavier stuff with worse brakes and done ok.

Warehouse Pt's has advantages - it's a LOT closer, it did run until the mid 80's I've been told.

Their website's asking for volunteers. Anyone wanna reach out and ask them?

#20239  by BEDT16RMLI

If you want to work on a MP54 why not join the Railroad Museum of Long Island and work on our two MP54's? They are on Long Island, not in maine or con and need your help.
Long Live 1391
 #20249  by Mr rt

The MP-54 at Warehouse Point ran until it started have elect. problems.
Noboday loves it right now.

As for the MPs at Riverhead ... I-F a groups formed to restore them, would the LIRR ever let them out of the yard ... kind of dought it :-(

#20286  by Nasadowsk

The RRMLI ones aren't even close to complete, AFAIK. They may one day look nice, but as far as moving under their own power? I doubt it.

There's supposedly a '54 up in Syracuse that's mostly (if not totally) complete.

I think a few PRR versions are still out there (no, they DON'T have PCBs - they had dry transformers). But that's a PRR forum thing, and frankly, interest in PRR electric power begins and ends with the GG-1 anyway...

Electrical problems? Heh , that could mean anything...

Anyway, I'm gonna email them about it. Anyone in?

#20293  by walt

Nasadowsk wrote: But that's a PRR forum thing, and frankly, interest in PRR electric power begins and ends with the GG-1 anyway...
Except that the MP-54 was "invented" by the PRR. The first MP-54 MU's were built from steam hauled PRR P-54 suburban passenger coaches in 1915 when the Paoli Local was electrified to relieve congestion at Philadephia's Broad Street Station. There were many more PRR MP-54's than LIRR versions. I know that the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum at Strasburg., Pa. has one, but I don't know if it runs.

#20343  by Nasadowsk

Uh, the first LIRR MP-54s were delivered in 1909. By the time the PRR figured out an AC version of the '54, the LIRR had oodles of them.

#20416  by Paul

Who says you need to restore one what there are already operable units on Long Long Island? Sorry. I couldnt resist.
Long Island Live Steamers.

#20454  by BEDT16RMLI

yea but you all can come out and join and work on them to preserve them, granted they will be not likely to operate any time soon but if there is work to preserve the 1391 it will need to be a group effort with more man power we never know what will happen. That is all it takes besides money. With enough money you can do anything. If I had the money BEDT 16 would be in full steam in Riverhead.
mike

#20473  by JoeLIRR

Good one Mike. I have to say the same about 39. the whole hobby of restoring vintage rr equpt is all about the money, because there is only so much that the indivisual can do.

#20496  by BEDT16RMLI

yep but you also have to think it takes man power as well with a small amount of about 11 active members we cannot get the things done that we need to. We need your help.

#20631  by walt

Nasadowsk wrote:Uh, the first LIRR MP-54s were delivered in 1909. By the time the PRR figured out an AC version of the '54, the LIRR had oodles of them.
I stand corrected--- However, the 1909 LIRR versions, though they pre-dated the PRR versions were based on "new standards developed by the Pennsylvania for suburban passenger cars" ( from Middleton's When the Steam Railroads Electrified" page 268) The "P" and "MP" classifications are pure PRR. ( The steam hauled suburban coaches were P-54's, the standard heavyweight PRR coach was the P-70, and the 1960's Silverliners were MP-85).