Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by BobLI

Any one know the status of the shop switcher 398. I disappeared from the dead line at morris park last week.

by LIengineerBob

The 398 was brought upstairs to the Richmond Hill Locomotive shop for rebuilding and/or as a source of spare parts for the 399. I'll get definitive answer tomorrow or as soon as possible.

by Nasadowsk

Are those the cute little GE units?

Except for MUs, aren't those about the only GE's the LIRR has ever rostered?

by EDM5970

LIRR had a 44T, 400, that went to Black River in the mid 1960s, then to the Valley, as their 0800. I think Valley sold it to another museum in New England within the past few years, though.

by jayrmli

The 44 Tonner is now at the Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum.

Jay

by LIengineerBob

Yes, the three 25 tonners, 397 to 399 and the 44 tonner 400 are the only GE's ever owned by the LIRR. The 398 and 399 were purchased new by the LI in (I think) 1958, and the 397 was bought from some other railroad or industrial user, whose name I don't recall at the moment.

by lirrmike

It used to be the plant switcher at the LILCO Island Park powerstation. The only one, when the plants all burned coal, that got coal from the LIRR.

Mike

by Legio X

When did they get 397 from LILCO, and for how much?

by lirrmike

I'd have to guess here. Being LILCO stopped burning coal in the late '60s, I'd say from around that time up to the early '70's. I haven't been able to find out anymore info on this engine, plus until about 10 years ago the switch to the plant and almost all the trackage was still in place. Alas, most is gone now.

Mike
  by scopelliti

Here's the 400 when it was at Valley Railroad in late fall 2002 when a couple of us took
the "Your Hand on the Throttle" class (quite cool!)

by BobLI

I just saw the 398 this morning, and its leading the Dead Line at Morris Park. Looks like its not going to return to service. Any word on its status? thanks

by EDM5970

Sorry, but that photo is not a 44T, but rather a 65 or 80T. The quick spotting features are that the steps are wrong for a 44T; a 44T (unless modified) has "ladders" and these are coach style steps. Also Valley numbered their 44T 0800, and this one is the 0900. Nice photo, though-

(Just looked it up, 5/28, VALE 0900 is an 80T, as are 0901 and Army 7145, all at Essex.)
Last edited by EDM5970 on Fri May 28, 2004 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by LIengineerBob

The 398 was used as a spare parts source for the 399. I don't think parts for these little units are too easy to come by anymore!!

by Nasadowsk

So why doesn't the LIRR just roll their own shop motor, again? They did it with the MP-54s, the result was kinda cute...

Let's see, a spare MP-15 truck, a bus engine spinning a generator....