Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lirrmike

While looking through this excellent site of photos, this part of a photo of the LIC yard from the 1970s caught my eye. At the lower left of the photo, below the old Pennsy powerplant you can see the remains of what I believe is an old Long Island float gantry. I don't ever remember seeing this on any map. I know the old LIC floats were just a bit north (more to the left) of the photo. Though in real bad shape, it sure looks like a float gantry to me. And you can tell it has been out of service for a real long time because there are building built behind it. Any history on this? Thanks.
Here is a link to the photo: http://pasquale.dhs.org/lirr/1970s/imag ... age141.htm

Mike
  by Mr rt

Ferrys between Queens & Manhattan

by Dave Keller

They are what's left of the float docks, seen in the photo below that I shot in January, 1971.

What you're looking at at the far left of the aerial photo would be the docks at the far left of my photo. You can see the tracks curving over to them,corresponding to the open, curving right-of-way shown on the aerial photo.

Dave Keller

by lirrmike

Dave,

Maybe you're right. I will have to go down there myself and check this out. I didn't believe the floats were that close to the powerplant. You know both of the gantries are still there, all redone as part of an apartment complex's "Gantry Park"? Thanks.

Mike

by Dave Keller

Mike:

Thanx for the info. I can't imagine the area being anything other than the railyard of my memory!!!

Dave

by Dave Keller

Mike:

Thanx for the link! Great shots!

BTW: I checked my Emery LIRR maps and that set of float docks was indeed close to the power house.

Also: The northernmost floats were numbered #1 and #2. These southern ones were numbered # 5 and #6.

There had been a #3 and #4 at one time but according to Bob Emery's notes they were retired a long while back. No idea of where they were in the relationship to the other floats.

Dave
  by dukeoq

Mike and Dave;
Accordiing to some old timers, many years ago, 3 & 4 bridges were just south of 1 & 2.
Tracks leading to them were retained and used for set-outs of cars to be picked up later.
These were not "overhead bridges" as we know them but were but were floated on pontoons rather than by motorized lift.
The pontoon bridge is much like the Cross Harbor's.
JJ Earl

by RRChef

Gantry Park is offically known as Gantry Plaza State Park and is part of the New York State Park system. In the past it was only open on weekends, but I believe it is now open daily. Floats 1 and 2 were cosmetically restored and there is some rail left to show the approaches to the floats.

by Dave Keller

JJ

Thanx for the clarification.

Looking at the map and my photos, I couldn't image another set of 2 float docks fitting in there without a jammed-up condition as they weren't all in a straight line.

Dave

by lirrmike

Great hearing from you JJ! I remember that park always being open. Two+ years ago ( while the newer Apt House was going up) I spent the summer at our Ravenswood powerplant and I'd spend lunch time there and while watching all the nice young mommys (sorry ladies and glad my wife doesn't read this!) and just thinking about what used to be here, there were State Park people there all day. There is a picture in one of the harbor books - a MUST read! - of Unit #2's generator of the Island Park Power Station on a depressed flat that just came off the floats, did you handle that JJ?

Mike
  by dukeoq

I seem to rememmber something like that coming in.
When did it come?
JJ Earl

by lirrmike

JJ,

I'd have to dig out the book, but that part of the plant was built around 1962 or 3. And on a side note it's still running! Plus it's one of the best of the system.

Mike
  by alchemist

As long as we're thinking about float bridges in LIC, don't forget the old Pigeon Terminal RR, a little south of lirrmike's photo, on the north bank of Newtown Creek. It still existed into the '70s and showed on PA maps of port facilities.
  by dukeoq

Mike, the one I rememmber was around 1969.

RE: Pidgeon Street float.

That was operated by BEDT.
They serviced the sugar house(Jack Frost?)and later the NY Daily News plant. For some time, a major customer was a distributor for Miller beer.
The engine was floated, along with
the cars, from thier main yard at Kent Ave., Brooklyn.
JJ Earl