Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#488160  by Crabman1130

Where is she? She looks cold.

#488315  by SwingMan

Wow! She looks good for being out it the snow and not having grafiti :-)

lirr415-Peter

#488475  by Nova55

Looks can be deceiving.

#489597  by Mr rt

The Riverhead/Greenport group already has RS3 1556.

#489686  by Crabman1130

What wrong with having an S1 too? Would look good at OB or Riverhead.

#489831  by Anthony RMLI

.post deledted by user
Last edited by Anthony RMLI on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

#491280  by midwest fred

417 is scrap fodder. The block is cracked. Friction bearing, and missing couplers last I heard. Wheels worn as well, very unevenly. If you guys want it, it will need to be trucked (or flatcar) out of Albany - it will cost more to move it than the scrap value it has. Take your last pics and say goodbye. RMLI considered it many years ago.

Fred.
 #493065  by trainspot

There are better options if a former LIRR S-1 was to be acquired. But I think the focus should stay on what the museums have, and preventing them from a fate that met RPO 4209.
 #508739  by MADDOG

All:
In order to start reconstruction of the Historic Oyster Bay RR Station which is destined to become the headquarters of the Oyster Bay RR Museum (OBRM), We had to move out and get the building empty.

We were able to secure a store within a few hundred feet of the station at 102 Audrey Ave in Oyster Bay and have created a museum & gift shop within. This "Preview Center" is a mini museum which gives us somethings we do not currently have at the station, heat & a restroom. One of the trustees is the Curator for the Cradle of Aviaition n Mitchel Field and he has crafted many fine displays, some which are interactive for the kids. Our evening opening (by invitation only) was well received and the center was packed for that night. Our Grand opening the following Saturday was also very well attended from 12-5 and we were (and still are) the talk of the town. We will be setting our hours for the center and will post them here ASAP.
If anyone wishes to keep up on our upcoming events & progress, our website is:
WWW.OBRM.ORG or
you can email us at:
[email protected]
MADDOG
 #509063  by midwest fred

I am in the pocess of finalizing an order for FRA Type II window glass for ex-LIRR 2900's. I have 3 cars worth to order so far. Am looking to place my order in late March for May delivery. Current ballpark price is $160 each for a total of about $7000 per car just for the glass - does not include the porthole windows in the doors. If we can get to aprox. 7 cars worth of glass, I can probably get another 10% off the unit price.

Does anyone on LI want to get in on the order? This will be (tinted) glass (NOT Margard) made by JT Nelson. It will not include the gaskets or shipping, JTN can provide at additional cost.

Please let me know ASAP if anyone at OBRM or RMLI is interested in going in on the glass order. Payment can probably be handled individually with the company but a firm commitment (downpayment) will need to be made prior to ordering.

Email me off-line if you are interested.

Thanks.

Midwest Fred

#509205  by Mr rt

Fred, You might try reaching out to NY & Atl. they have a couple of cars that they put plexaglass in so they can't use them for the public for more then static display. They may not be willing to pay that much to make them raod worthy, but it's a shot.

#509509  by midwest fred

Who do I contact there?

Fred.

#509516  by jayrmli

I wouldn't even waste my time. They're not even going to come up with $100 for that car, much less $7,000.00

Fred, just so you know RMLI has a stockpile of the Margard widows which were purchased for the cars. I doubt there will be any interest there either.

You may want to get in touch with Ken Bitten. While he may not want windows for the cars he still owns, he may be able to reach out to any owners of LIRR coaches who bought from him.

Jay

#509837  by midwest fred

Ken is already inolved.

How many windows do you guys have? Enough for all your cars?

Fred