Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#386838  by MADDOG

Anyone is welcome to our work sites to visit & learn what we are doing. Anyone who wishes to "pitch in & lend a hand" MUST join the museum as this gives insurance coverage.
As for the damage sustained while in Hicksville:
The cars were graffittied & broken into. The end windows were kicked in & the emergency windows were all removed. This damage has since been repaired as well as the graffitti being painted over yesterday.
(*Saturday ) 4/14/07. This was a very productive work session and all of our goals for the day were achieved. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate next Saturday as to allow us more work on the Worlds Fair Alco. Some fine tuning of the interior, interior painting and welding will allow our plan for floor application to be put into place over the next 3 weeks. After that, we will re-prime the exterior and put a coat of Orange & Grey on in anticipation of the move to our Oyster Bay RR Museum diaply site.
If anyone has any questions, feel free to call me -Gary:516-233-8852
or Wayne:516-417-7410

#386854  by pennsy

Hi All,

Sounds like things are progressing there. Please keep us ex-Long Islanders informed of how things progress in the future. I have high hopes for # 39, but haven't given up on # 35.
 #386905  by MADDOG

lirr415 wrote:It was nice to meet you MADDOG :wink: . I will be joining the OBRM this week. lirr415
Always a pleasure. I look forward to working with you.

#400176  by n2qhvRMLI

Hi Otto,

As you know Engine 39's tender has been restored and is back on-site in Riverhead. Due to a number of bureaucratic issues and details that have taken the fall and winter to work through, boiler and firebox work has been slow to non-existent. As those concerns have been addressed, we have been assured that work will proceed at a greater pace beginning in June.

We all look forward to the completion of work on Engine 39's boiler. We continue to save and look for addition funding to the tune of $150,000.00 to complete the restoration of 39's running gear, brake system and oil burner. All donations earmarked for Engine 39 are appreciated.

Thanks for the continuing interest,
de Don n2qhvRMLI
 #400178  by n2qhvRMLI

Good morning Gentle Forum Members,

The members and Trustees of the Railroad Museum of Long Island are pleased to announce the opening of a railroad photography exhibit, “Many Hands: A Representation of Railroad Workers,“ located at our Greenport Museum at 440 – 4th Street, Greenport, NY. It will be open to the public on Saturdays, Sundays and Monday Holidays from May 26th through October 8th 2007. Museum hours are 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM and admission is $5.00 adults, $3.00 for children 5 to 12 years old and free to children younger than 5.

The exhibit includes over fifty black and white and color photographs of the men and women, (the “Many Hands”), that have kept the railroads of New York moving over the past one hundred and fifty years, and numerous tools and artifacts of the equipment they used.

This art show was developed by Curators Michael Zega and John Gruber of the Center for Railroad Photography and Art of Madison, Wisconsin and designed by Robert DelBagno and Todd Ludlam of the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn, New York. The exhibit is funded in part by the North American Railway Foundation, the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs and the New York State Council on the Arts.

For more information on this new exhibit please visit
www.railphoto-art.org/exhibits.asp

or www.rmli.org

Thanks to all for your continuing interest and support,
de Don n2qhvRMLI

#401636  by Mr rt

Is this the exhibit that was at the Transit Museum's Grand Central store ?
If so I saw it there & it is realy well done.

#404094  by emfinite

Don,

Looks great! I'll be there soon to check it out.

Joe

#404148  by n2qhvRMLI

Mr. rt,

Yes, it's the same group of photographs from the Grand Central Terminal Exhibit with many more artifacts, all Long Island Railroad. We didn't have to utilize any of the Metro North artifacts as we had so many of our own. The New York Transit Museum staff suggested we add and supplement the exhibit with these articles as we are entirely in "LIRR Country." It was a great idea on their part and it has given the exhibit a real "hometown " flavor, important as Greenport was a major RR Town at the turn of the Twentieth Century.

Enfimite,

Good business. I look forward to seeing you and catching up.

de Don n2qhvRMLI

#456293  by pennsy

Hi Don,

Excellent shots of the LIRR museum exhibits.

For anyone visiting Southern California, especially Los Angeles, within three blocks of Los Angeles Union Station, LAUS, also known as LATC, Los Angeles Transit Center, is Phillipe's. This is a sandwich shop on Alameda St., just north of LATC. This is also a museum for the three RR companies that built LATC, SP, UP, and Santa Fe. Similar exhibits on the walls of the shop, within easy sight of the tables and chairs for the customers. The sandwiches are excellent, and Phillipe's has been there for almost 100 years. This is an historic landmark in Los Angeles. If you just want to see the exhibits, the admission is free, but once you smell the sandwiches and the soups etc. etc.

#461844  by Paul

And don't forget genuine saw dust on the floor. Yupper, mucho good eating at Phillipe's BTW Pennsy, when you and I gonna do lunch at the Yact Club in Mentone Beach?????.