Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#725845  by Anthony RMLI

Good Morning,

Before I leave to get some paint on our Caboose, C-68 I thought I would share with you, what myself and President Don Fisher worked on yesterday to further restore passanger car 2924 as well as BM-62 7737. The under carriage and steps of these cars got a nice gloss black and our looking great! Check back later for photos of C-68

The Star of the show :-)
Before
After

Anthony
Railroad Museum of Long Island
 #727963  by Anthony RMLI

Good Evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

Today at The Railroad Museum of Long Island (RMLI), we were doing some work on our narrow gauge 0-4-0T No. One. Before I get into the details of work, a little background info for you.

Built by the H.K. Porter Locomotive works in 1921 for the Defiance Coal Company in Mentmore, New Mexico. A 40" gauge railroad was operated between their two mines and the coal tipple at Mentmore, a distance of about 1 3/4 miles by rail. Coal was loaded in small jennies, called "pit cars" from the mine entrance to the coal tipple. The coal company closed in 1952, with the last run by rail taking place on March 28th of that year.

After the mine ceased operations, it was purchased by Dr. Stanley Groman, who had it shipped during January 1953 to Sandy Pond in Sandy Creek Township in upstate New York. This site became one of the first operating rail Museums in the country.

Known as Rail City, the operation continued until its closure on October 13, 1974. Due to its 40 inch gauge, the #1 was just a static display.

After Rail City closed, the engine sat idle until John Degan of Southampton, NY came upon the engine and purchased it from Dr. Groman's estate in the Fall of 1982. Mr. Degan began restoration of the locomotive to operating condition, changed the saddle water tank to two side saddle water tanks, and placed it on a flatbed trailer equipped with rollers. In this manner, the locomotive could be transported over the road to different events and parades across Long Island. It could then be fired up and the drivers could turn around on the trailer. When not on display, the engine was stored in Southampton.

Completing several months of negotiations, the #1 was donated to RMLI during Columbus Day weekend of 1999.

The goal is to see her under steam in the coming years.(we are looking at 2012) First, we have to get her trailer up to standards and make her moblie and road worthy, and then work will focus more on the locomotive.

Nevertheless, today, thanks to the help of the Long Island antique power association, she got a boiler wash and hydro test. Of course, after pumping the hot water into the engine, we found very few and minor leaks. Among these was a small leak in the throttle, and the plugs. That however can be easily fixed by getting new washers.

The Engine itself is in outstanding shape, and has very limited running time. The tubes and firebox look great! There is a very bright future for this engine, and it may be narrow gauge, but it may be the first steam engine to steam on long island in many years, even if just running in place.

However, as I said right now work will focus on getting the truck painted and in good mechanical shape so Number One is mobile. In the spring, I plan to perform an ultra sound on the engine, to give you an idea of the work that will be getting done. and is planned.

Also, in Riverhead our Caboose C-68 is in the middle of being repainted. On Monday, I was out grinding along with President Don Fisher the rust spots down and getting her ready for paint. Due to the weather, I have had to hold off, but she should be a solid orange by the end of the month, possibly next week. Today in New York it rained all day.

There are so many things going on at the RMLI. Here are some pictures, showing all the work we have accomplished of Number One and Caboose 68.

Thank you for your support and interest,

Anthony

#729374  by Mr rt

I'm sorry I don't understand ...
BEDT steam engine sits there while you're working on a narrow guage steamer that has nothing to do with LI ?
Are you going to lay some narrow guage track too ?

At the Valley RxR in Essex they acquired a 0-4-0 from a private individual.
It had to be put back togather.
It could run on their RxR, but not be able to pull many cars.
Right now it's on static display in their yard ... as a matter of fact I think it was in their shop Wednesday night for some more work.
 #731111  by Hauspiper

Mr rt wrote:I'm sorry I don't understand ...
BEDT steam engine sits there while you're working on a narrow guage steamer that has nothing to do with LI ?
Are you going to lay some narrow guage track too ?

At the Valley RxR in Essex they acquired a 0-4-0 from a private individual.
It had to be put back togather.
It could run on their RxR, but not be able to pull many cars.
Right now it's on static display in their yard ... as a matter of fact I think it was in their shop Wednesday night for some more work.
First off the former F. Nelson Blount locomotive at the Valley is an 0-6-0t not an 0-4-0.
When I was project manager of BEDT 16, I got in over my head. I was juggeling, a girlfreind, full time job, college, and BEDT 16 at the same time. It was a one person job. I did not see anyone offering any help at all. I know I have bashed the railroad museum alot in the past, but this is something, I am proud of. BEDT 16 will Never operate again, she needs boiler work, not to mention new gauges, and forgeing new rods. Is it not a duty of a railroad museum to preserve the past?

Considering the fact that most railroad museums have locomotives and cars that are not from the region that they are from. There is a Southern locomotive being restored in Illinois, or not to mention the many locomotives from Canada that are operating in the states. Steam is Steam. You may say porter number 1 has no ties to Long Island or NY. She was restored here and brought around to local fairs. I say she operated on the Island. The 1 was part of the Rail City collection. So she has ties with New York, the fact that she was not built for a New York railroad or a Long Island company does not change the fact that she has spent the last 60 years in NY the 1 came to NY in 1952. Longer then the time she operated in New Mexico so I think she has ties with NY. Plus she is a good stand in for narrow gauge locomotives of her type that operated on the Island. Former Queens Subway, Apartment & Loft Bldg. Corp. No. 1 a 36" gauge Vulcan built in 1923 is in Alabama, she is not comming home anytime soon. So why criticize the museum on somthing that they are doing right, somthing that is not toy trains, something that is part of our past and NY past Defiance Coal #1. So I am happy that I will have a chance to bring her back to steam.
Michael Arnold
United States Merchant Marine
Cadet NY Maritime College
www.twinforksnrhs.org
 #731203  by Crabman1130

There are other pieces of equipment that are from LI that sit there rusting. Why not put the money and effort into them first? NO1 sits indoors, so it's safe from the effects of weather. 1556 sits outside, maybe some work on it should be done first.
How many of the cars there leak when it rains? I'd hate to see the LIRR pieces suffer the fate of the MP54s. Lets see a plan for there cars before you save a foregin loco.
 #731215  by Hauspiper

Ok well when can I meet you in Riverhead to work on 1556? Twin Forks has needed help for a long time. So members want to work on a steam that is not from the island even though it has been on the island for the last 27 years. The MP54's were a victum of the enviroment years salt in the air took their toll. The museum and chapter are allways looking for help.
Mike Arnold
United States Merchant Marine
Cadet NY Maritime College
www.twinforksnrhs.org
 #731303  by Crabman1130

I'm dissabled and can't do any heavy work. Right now I'm on crutches.
But even if I were able to work, having been a member years ago I have watched
the progress, or lack of progress at RMLI. Before I would become a member again I would have to see a plan that makes sense, and that plan adheared to.
I am a member of OBRM. I like what I see there. A plan that make sense. Yes they have many of the same problems as RMLI, but they don't seem to be shooting blind.
 #731623  by Mr rt

Mike aka Hauspiper,

You and a few friends have attached yourself to a project that you have figured out is doable with the talent & resources that are available. As opposed to BEDT 16 where you were pushing shit up hill :-(

Creating a steam engine for display that looks good is just fine, but long term what does it do for the museum ?
This question realy isn't for you to answer ... and it mostly thinking out laud ... so good luck.
 #731708  by fire5506

I can see where an operable steam engine on a trailer could be useful for the museum. I can picture it being set up at malls and events around the Island as advertising/publicity for the museum. Granted it isn't originally from the island, but most of the public probably couldn't care less. They would be interested in the novelty of an operating steam engine. A lot of railfans would come to see it just because it is an operating steam engine, even if it doesn't go anywhere on it's own. The more press you have the more donations and volunteers you get.

Richard looking at MP 242 while working for the FEC
 #731764  by Hauspiper

I still say this, the locomotive has been in NY for almost 60 years, it is a NY native. Because it spent more time here then the railroad it was built for. I know some foamers or rivet counters can never look outside the box. I think 475 looks better painted Strasburg then N&W, why? Because they own the locomotive. No body jumps on them for not operating native PA locomotives, yea some are made in PA. The 0-6-0t on the Valley Railroad is their only native New England steam locomotive. No body jumps on them for restoring the 2-8-2 built in another country. So why bust the museums chops about doing their job. 16 will get worked on, 1556 will also. Have you ever heard of if you do not use it you loose it? Well number 1 has been at the museum for 10 years, she diserves he light in the sun. I think it is right to say she is a native New Yorker, she do alot in advertising i agree with you there.
Mike Arnold
 #732817  by MADDOG

Hi everyone, a little news from the Oyster Bay RR Museum (OBRM).

Saturday October 17th was opening day for our display yard. Since we incorporated 3 years ago, we have had our doors open at the Museum Preview center on Audrey Ave in the heart of the business district. We did so well that we expanded and had our grand re-opening last year at the same site. We have been moving towards this years Oyster Festival to coincide with the display yard opening and we weren't dissapointed!
Even though the weathere was DEFINITELY NOT on our side for the weekend, we had over 400 people visit us at the Museum in town and then had over 150 of these visitors to the display yard. This was over a 2 day period. Sunday was a total washout until about 3pm when the rain stopped. I saw many families just wandering around a desolate area and ushered them over to the museum. The kids had a ball and the parents were ecstatic to find something to do for a while. Most of them migrated over to the display yard and were bowled over.

We were fortunate enough to have the folks from Trainville Hobby Depot in Levittown, NY as our guests with a beautiful portable N-scale layout for display.

While many Long Island "railfans" still have not taken the time to stop by and support us, we have realized that these people will never be our base visitors.
Families with small kids and pre-teens make up the base with grandparents and "railroad" families making up the rest.
We had many out of state visitors and even today I hosted a group from Hawaii who stopped by Oyster Bay to visit with a friend.
We have completed our Worlds Fair Alco diesel cab unit, 2 cabin cars and our vintage crossing shanty and have open for inspection our PING PONG coach, turntable and 2- 25 ton GE diesel switchers, which we acquired only a month ago!
We are open Saturdays from 12-4 at the Museum and 10-4 at the display yard for visitation.

MADDOG
 #732855  by deandremouse

MADDOG,
Anyword on engine 35's restoration? Do you guys have funding to do it.

PS- Anyone @ RMLI can help me become a Volunteer/Member?
Although for me to get out there might be a problem...
 #732885  by Anthony RMLI

Did I hear someone wants us to restore some LIRR stuff that is rusting away to hell???? Read below sir

deandremouse,

We would be happy to have you as a member even better volunteer. In the last year we have done a lot of work and could always use more hands. For info about volunteering please contact our President, Don Fisher at [email protected] Also, check out our website. We have a membership appliaction you can print out and mail in here. http://rmli.us/RMLI/Join_Us.html

Hope to see you in Riverhead sometime!

Now, to todays restoration work.

It may of been Halloween today but the work did not stop at the Railroad Museum of Long Island in Riverhead. We got a a coat of Orange paint onto Former Long Island Railroad Baywindow Caboose C-68. She has not gotten any TLC in a while, so I took on the project to repaint her.

She got one coat today, to cover up all her rust stops and get her ready for winter. In the spring after she has weatherd a little 2 more coats will be applied along with a coat on the roof. Then the detail work and lettering. She will be ready for 2010 museum patrons in late April, ready to tell her story as she has been for so many years, just in fresh as-deliverd paint.

We were also lucky enough to have a crew working on preparing our machine for paint.

So much has gotten done this year, and it is all thanks to our volunteers! I don't think I have ever seen so much work go on at one time......3 Railroad Cars painted and a soon a building. Not bad if you ask me.

Anthony

BEFORE

AFTER

The second project of the day below, with it's own crew
 #733058  by MADDOG

deandremouse,
So far we have only gotten enough to start and am awaiting notification on 2 other grants pending. It is neither wise not fiscally prudent to start the undertaking before all of the money has been appropriated. We are however working on the bid package with the Town of Oyster Bay and Nassau County.
We have also been watching the work done on RMLI's #39 as we know we too will be facing the same problems with the steel and most likely all of the same repairs and/or modifications.
MADDOG