Railroad Forums 

• THe LIRR is 170 years old today

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#15043  by Nasadowsk

Isn't the LIRR still the oldest RR in the US operating under it's origional chartered name?

Oh yeah - apparently, someone in Hicksville remembered where the name came from - note the signage driving around there. My out of state friends giggle when they hear the name though....

#15086  by JoeLIRR

Yes the LIRR is still the only rr in america that is still opeating under its charted name. Tho i beleve that the MTA has/may change that. :(

there is also a sign in the stairwell of the hicksville station.

#15256  by shadyjay

Isn't the Delaware & Hudson the oldest transportation company name still in existance? Even though its part of CP.

-Jay Hogan
 #15263  by CLiner2005

Happy Birthday LIRR!!

I sometimes feel I was back there when it all started :-)

It is nice to remember those who were the pioneers in railroading, not just the LIRR. I feel priviledged to have known some who had seniority dates back to 1905, with the majority of those who hired circa 1915-1940. It makes for some great memories of stories that described events that took place during a different era, many of those events that I remember first-hand - and have stuck with me over these many years.

So, cherish what you have now, remember them well - and document as best you can. Thirty (200th Birthday) years from now, the year 2004 will be "the bad old days," as some would say - but still - memories of events will still be something very valuable to pass-on the those who come behind us. It is a geat tradition - after all, isn't that why we are all here on the Forum?

Happy Birthday LIRR - and to all those who make it run.
 #15294  by BMT

HAPPY B-DAY to the LIRR! Man, the railroad sure doesn't look a day over 125! She looks GOOD for her age (uh, not including the Bushwick Branch. :wink: )

BTW, IIRC, the South Brooklyn Railway is close behind the LIRR as one of the longest continuously operating railroads with its original name intact.

#15380  by jayrmli

The statement that the LIRR is the oldest continuously operating railroad under its original charter is correct.

The D&H is older, but I believe the charter was originally for a canal operation, not a railroad.

Jay

#15636  by EDM5970

This came up on the old forum, but the Strasburg is nearly two years older, per charter date, and is still operating under its original name. Continuously operating may be an issue, but any one of the many strikes that the LIRR has had, which interrupted service, makes that claim invalid.

#15670  by jayrmli

A strike is a work stoppage of a particular craft or crafts. The company still operated. Thus, the claim is valid.

Jay

#16103  by jayrmli

The fact is the LIRR is still operating under its existing charter. It is not MTA Long Island Railroad, it is still the Long Island Rail Road Company. It may be owned by the MTA, but it still operates under the original charter.

The claim continuously operated can not be made by Strasburg.

Jay

#16130  by EDM5970

Jay, give it up! Look at the title of the thread: The LIRR is 170 years old today. And the Strasburg is a few months short of 172. Both of these are historical facts, based on charter dates. Strikes and temporary suspensions of service (due to lack of business) have nothing to do with the charter dates.

And I'll go along with this TrainLawyer guy on the MTA Long Island issue. Isn't that how some of the equipment is lettered? The LIRR is now operated by a government agency, while the Strasburg is in the hands of it's stockholders.

I'm not taking sides here, just pointing out the facts of the matter. I think both railroads are interesting, in their own way. I've been going to the Strasburg on and off since maybe 1960, and was involved in a LIRR restoration project many years ago. But once again, dates are dates and facts are facts.

#16780  by jayrmli

Right. And read the second post by Nasadowsk, to which I was answering. He said:

Isn't the LIRR still the oldest RR in the US operating under it's origional chartered name?

To which I responded yes. The LIRR may have changed ownership (as did the Strasburg, by the way), but they are still operating under their original charter. Just because the cars say MTA Long Island Rail Road doesn't change anything. By using that logic, how do you explain some of Strasburg's cars lettered for Boston & Maine?

The fact remains that LIRR is the oldest continuously operating railroad still operating under it's original charter. Period. As you said, facts are facts.

Jay

#16785  by JoeLIRR

Good clarafiction Jay.
LIRR is the oldest n im proud of it. :wink:

#17222  by point88

Are you kidding me with the Strasburg Railroad. Its an ammusement park ride. You go like 10 feet and then come back in twenty minutes. I think we can safely the LIRR is the oldest under its original name.

#17428  by jayrmli

Hey, Strasburg is still a railroad. However, even Strasburg doesn't make the claim as the oldest railroad. They say they're the oldest short line, which they are. However, they are not continuously operated. I'm not sure how many years the line sat dormant before it was returned to service.

Jay