Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#14581  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Someone over on Railway Preservation News Mentioned that the 1555 is available for preservation. Go to RYPN. org then to interchange and scroll down to find it.

#14602  by DutchRailnut

anything is available , but at what price.
scrap metal is running at $77 a ton so that would be cheapest.
 #14616  by Richard Glueck

I believe this locomotive wound up in Florida, and was disassembled for renewal when a hurricane swept through, destroying the building in which the parts were laid out. The RS-3 survived, but nobody knew what went where anymore! I doubt the people who might aquire this loco will be getting an intact loco. I'd like to see her preserved, but maybe she's better as a donor loco?

Was this loco used in the steam to Diesel ceremonies?

#14834  by jayrmli

Yes, this was the end of steam ceremony diesel, and yes, the story of the hurricane is true. I spoke to someone at the museum a few years back.

Jay

#14876  by Alcoman

Would this locomotive be worth the effort to return to Long Island?
Even as a parts source?

Speaking of 244 parts, there is an ad on Rail Swap regarding someone selling 244 parts in New York.

Name: PAUL SARACEN
Address: 5399 RUSSELL RD.
City: MARION
State: NEW YORK
ZIP: 14505
 #14915  by Richard Glueck

The owner can be reached at this address. He is going to sell or scrap within the next 30 days. [email protected]

The loco was supposed to be used as a static display alongside a stuffed and mounted steamer from American. THere is a horror picture of her posted on RYPN, in the exchanges regarding the loco. Apparently she will need some wheel work in the lead truck before she can be towed. The steam generator is still inside the short end. Apparently the parts are still attached, but the loco needs new wiring. Head to Radio Shack and get your "How-To" books now.

#15344  by JoeLIRR

Is there still a potential of saving this peice of lirr hist (end of steam equpt). Can it be donated to us, thats always an option in one has magic with words.

maby it can be sed a a static display infront of the meuseum. on a small display track.

hopefully it is not to late, and hopefully we can save thes wonderfull peice of LIRR history. (would be nice to see it in a "return of steam seremony")

GOOD LUCK!!

#15461  by EDM5970

I don't think Radio Shack has any 'how to do it" books that would give any help in rewiring an Alco. :wink: