Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by timz

It seems Queens is going to get 80-mph crossovers. Are these going to replace the equilateral switches down toward Bellerose, along with the conventional interlocking in front of the tower? No more 60 mph restriction there?

by Nasadowsk

Yey! It's about time they did that. Hey, can they concrete Queens too, and down to NHP while they're messing around in there? Oh yeah, and Mineola, so at least we don't have to be bussed every other year while they replace rotted ties? :)

by emfinite

Lots of continuously welded rail laid on and next to the ROW over by Bellerose... Big changes to come.

by jayrmli

The turnouts at the Bellerose end are supposed to be moved further west. Once the project is done, there will be no more pocket tracks between bridges 2 &3. I think the ties within the interlocking will be concrete as well.

The big concrete tie project this summer is I believe the Port Washington Branch.

Jay
  by Head-end View

There was a recent story in Newsday about this project on 4-15-04 re: service disruptions this summer while Queens interlocking is rebuilt.

We had talked about this a year or two ago in the old forums. And people said then that Queens would probably be the next major rebuilding project. IIRC the present crossovers at the tower are only 30 MPH, causing headaches to main-line trains, when a westbound from the Hempstead Branch crosses over.

The Bellerose end was rebuilt in the early 1970's with the present equilateral turnouts, and was considered a great improvement at that time; main-line trains hardly had to slow down anymore. I think it had 30 MPH crossovers before that.

PROGRESS !!

by bluebelly

In addition to what Jay posted, I have been told that when Queens is rebuilt, Hollis Interlocking will be gone, it will become part of Queens.

by timz

Signal bridges 1 and 2, bracketing the crossovers in front of the tower, are supposedly 1736 feet apart, so as long as the tracks stay on 13-ft centers (or whatever they are now) pairs of #32.7 x-overs could fit between those bridges-- but then how would the Belmont Park trains cross over to track 3? Either the interlocking has to be extended westward, or (if crossovers all the way from track 4 to track 3 are to remain between sig bridges 1 and 2) the long x-overs have to go in east of bridge 2.

Or can Belmont Park trains manage okay without being able to get to track 3?

Maybe the layout between bridges 1 and 2 will stay about the same while the #20 equilaterals between bridges 3 and 4 are replaced with-- longer equilaterals? Or will the main line tracks revert to straight-thru-with-a-jog, as they were before 1980 (or whenever)?

by bingdude

I have noticed all the new work on the signal system at Queens.

It looks like new dwarf signals are being put in under the signal bridges.

Does anyone know if these temporary or will they replace the ones on the bridge?

by emfinite

I saw pedestal signals, not dwarf signals. They are located directly below the signal bridges.
Last edited by emfinite on Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by LIengineerBob

The pedistel type signals are temporary for the life of the project, and will be removed once the project is completed and the signal bridges are replaced and/or restored.
  by Head-end View

Same thing was done at Freeport with pedestal signals for westbound under the new signal bridge east of the station.

AND for all fellow signal buffs out there: Be aware that the aspects displayed by pedestal signals are the same as in high signals, even though they look similar to dwarf (or low home) signals.
For years I used to think pedestals only gave low speed indications 'til I got the full story.

by timz

Okay, they've covered the eastward signals on Bridge 3, approaching Bellerose, and replaced them with pedestals-- but I guess the westward pedestals entering Queens have been there for many years? The former westward signal bridge just east of Queens tower has been empty since when?

by jayrmli

It will be interesting to see if the project is delayed waiting for the replacement switch that was damaged in a derailment.

Jay
  by RC '75

What is the difference between (crossovers, equilateral turnouts & interlocking)?

by timz

Well, you know what a crossover is, don't you? Two parallel tracks, each with a switch to a track that allows a train to run from one track onto the other.

At most switches, one track continues straight and the switch curves away. But here and there the switch is symmetrical, each track curving an equal amount in opposite directions. As they do west of Bellerose.

Dunno the technical definition of interlocking, but today it amounts to a group of switches (and/or crossings) and signals, all power-controlled from one location, which may be a few yards away or maybe a couple thousand miles.