Railroad Forums 

• RS-1 Tichy Battleship Numbers

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1551142  by midwest-fred

Does anyone happen to know if any of the RS-1 battleship numbers from the Tichy paint scheme survived? I am trying to figure out how to re-create them for the 467, and thought maybe a set still might exist someplace?

Fred
 #1551144  by RGlueck

Fred: First off, thank you for recreating the Tichy paint scheme on 467! While it never weathered well, it was LIRR's classiest paint scheme ever! There are enough photos around - but a heck of a lot of reviewing to do, to determine how they were attached. The numerals themselves were sheet metal, and I imagine they all went into the scrap hopper when the scheme was retired. Scala's book might have a photo revealing something.
How soon are you going to reveal the RS1 in her new dress?
 #1551146  by midwest-fred

I'm probably a year off on it, I'm hoping to have the cab back together by the end of the year, it is completely gutted right now. I can surmise from photos I have most of the design of the mounting, and can approximate the size of the numbers relatively well, but I am missing a photo with a clear look at the mounting on the bottom end, which is the middle support for the radiator shutters. The mounting holes still exist on the top and front of the shutter assembly, but I can't seem to find anything for the middle support (call it "bottom left" if looking at the numbers from the side-on). I am thinking of starting to strip the body in the spring. FYI I am also currently removing all the ASC equipment in case anyone is interested. I did off it to RMPA but have not gotten a response....

Thanks

Fred
 #1551149  by RGlueck

There appears to be a frame with two bands across it, standing out, away from the shutters. Looks like steel rods or tubes with flattened ends, bolted to the radiator frame.
 #1551151  by midwest-fred

Yes - I had that painting done from actual photos, and I easily know the design of the numbers and support structure as well as the brackets on top and the front. The question is - was there a bracket behind the numbers attached to the center longitudinal radiator support, and what did it look like? There are mounting holes in the radiator frame on the front and top, but nothing on the center support. So for now I must surmise that there were only three brackets hold it to the radiator shutter housing.
Another question comes to mind - does anyone know of any "reports" or experiences from engineers with these numbers moving around while moving at speed? With only three mounting points maybe they would move in the wind?

Fred
 #1551219  by RGlueck

Looks like a fairly straight-forward and simple replication. As far as cutting the numerals out goes, there are plenty of photos from which to get what you need for shapes. Figuring the size isn't much of a task either. Once again, this restoration is a real tribute to the LIRR at a very seminal point in the story.