Railroad Forums 

• NYCTA Work Motors On The LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1548077  by BuddR32

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:25 am

2-The eight car R44 train visible from Track 8 in Jamaica is bracketed on both ends by
NYCTA work motors with compromise couplers - NYCTA uses a special design coupler
- allowing the consist to be moved by and on the LIRR.

MACTRAXX

Thanks for pointing out the coupler in the R1-9 'work motor'
I noticed the stenciling MCB painted under the right window panel, it didn't fully click. That is referring to the coupler type MCB, which is today AAR, same type of coupler.

Nearly all the steel subway cars from the R1 through the last of the DC motor subway cars used the same coupler and could be run in the same consist, I think with the exception of the R46. This is how the can run the Train Of Many Metals today. (perhaps someone here can verify that.
 #1548124  by R36 Combine Coach

BuddR32 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:18 am Nearly all the steel subway cars from the R1 through the last of the DC motor subway cars used the same coupler and could be run in the same consist, I think with the exception of the R46. This is how the can run the Train Of Many Metals today. (perhaps someone here can verify that).
R10-R68A (+ box motors R127/R134), also known as the "SMEE" or postwar generation. The R1-R9 series is prewar "AMUE" and not compatible (though can operate with other prewar cars including A/B Standards and D-class Triplex 6112, recently modified for MU compatibility).

Recall that ALL LIRR electric equipment from 1908 to 1963(!) was fully compatible.
Backshophoss wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:39 pm Willets Point was the Budd test site/Warranty/debug repair point ,the Port Washington branch
doubled as the test trackage for Budd. There may have been in the past a temporary switch to
the TA off the Port Washington Branch to the # 7 line near Willets Point.
There in fact was a connection between LIRR and the IRT Corona Yard, was used for delivery of the R12s in 1948 (and possibly the R14s in 1949 and R15s in 1950 as well). By the time the R33 single units and R36s were delivered for the World's Fair (late 1963-mid 1964) the connection was gone and they arrived from St. Louis via the New
Haven-IRT interchange at East 180th Street (former NYWB) before routed to the 7 through Concourse Yard and
Coney Island.

Until 1928 with the extension to Flushing and opening of Corona Shop, in the early years of the IRT Queensboro Line (7), a connection switch between PRR/LIRR and the IRT was at Hunters Point, used for car deliveries and moves between 1915-1928.

It was located here (off to the right), just east of the tunnel portal.
 #1548313  by newkirk

Crabman1130 wrote: I don't think the subway cars were powered. I think they were just used as transition cars. I don't see any third rail shoes in the pictures.
I e-mailed a friend of mine who works for NYCT and I posed the work motor issue and what they were doing on the LIRR. Here's his response, though he wishes to remain anonymous.
I can see 3rd rail shoes. Look very carefully. The cars were used out there as work motors, using LIRR crews.
The cars on either end were there to provide the means to sandwich the cars for movement over the railroad and to provide an MCB coupler on the open ends and a subway coupler on the other end. An R9 car can be used coupled to regular RR things, as it as a straight air brake system capability. As I am sure you know, we used them as work motors for years. What I do not know if if adaptors were used on the R44 to R9 end or if they changed the coupler head to an Ohio Brass. I suspect that they used an adaptor as it was local, an H2 to Ohio Brass. Otherwise, they would have had to remove the electric portion, which would leave none on either end. Cannot say for sure, though.
 #1548394  by Backshophoss

MCB= Master Car Builder,aka standard coupler
NYCTA has work cars that use a standard coupler, ,Flats,gons,and ballast hoppers
All 40 ft cars
 #1548595  by Ðauntless

LIRR has in the past used a few of the little NYCTA diesels in recent years. Dont have the numbers off the top of my head.
 #1548602  by Pensyfan19

Ðauntless wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:55 am LIRR has in the past used a few of the little NYCTA diesels in recent years. Dont have the numbers off the top of my head.
What for? Switching services in Brooklyn or Queens?
 #1548708  by newkirk

Dauntless wrote: LIRR has in the past used a few of the little NYCTA diesels in recent years. Dont have the numbers off the top of my head.
Not exactly diesel but diesel/electric, note third rail shoes.

I believe they were borrowed for work in East River tubes ?
Attachments:
Morris Park - Photo: Jay Bendersky
Morris Park - Photo: Jay Bendersky
July 8, 1991.JPG (379.25 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
 #1548718  by Pensyfan19

Are all of the diesels which the NYC Subway currently roster diesel/electric, or dual-mode, meaning that it can run on the third rail? Or are there still some diesels on the NYC Subway's fleet that only run on diesel and not on the third rail.
 #1548721  by newkirk

Pensyfan18 wrote: Are all of the diesels which the NYC Subway currently roster diesel/electric, or dual-mode, meaning that it can run on the third rail? Or are there still some diesels on the NYC Subway's fleet that only run on diesel and not on the third rail.
That engine I photo I posted is an R-77E electric engine (builder: General Electric 1983) .

Not a dual mode. All ten are reported to be OOS.

#1548730  by railfaned

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:58 am Are all of the diesels which the NYC Subway currently roster diesel/electric, or dual-mode, meaning that it can run on the third rail? Or are there still some diesels on the NYC Subway's fleet that only run on diesel and not on the third rail.
The latest diesel/electrics of the NYC Subways are the R156, I think I remember that the LIRR will be getting a couple for East-Side Access.