Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1546957  by Pensyfan19

Did the Long Island Railroad ever roster 6 axle power at one point in their history? I think I remember hearing about an ALCO PA testing on the LIRR back in the early 1950s. The closest the LIRR had to this was the 5 axle C-Liners from FM.

If they did not, then why did the LIRR not roster any 6-axle locomotives, such as ALCO PAs or EMD SDs? Weight restrictions? Tight curves? Preference for Geeps and C420s???
 #1547002  by Backshophoss

A pair of ex Metra E-8's were used with he C-1's for a time.
SD sized power doesn't always clear LIRR 3rd rail (fuel tanks ),D&H was the first R to shave the fuel tanks on some of their SD-40's to clear NYC style 3rd rail
P&W 6 axle power stays near Fremont/Fresh Pond yard area.
CSX jusy modified a small batch of GE 6 axle power to operate thru MN to Oak Point yard
 #1547033  by RGlueck

The rear truck of the FM C-Liners was notorious for picking switch points. LIRR tested a PA and I believe an FM Trainmaster, but never bit. New Haven FL9's ran for a short period on some miserable abortion of a train. I never heard of E8's, but perhaps they did as well.
 #1547754  by ConstanceR46

If i recall correctly, in the mid-2000s RMLI got a CP SD40 down for a railfest event. Apparently it had problems with the fresh pond wye and one of the higher ups was pissed.
 #1547765  by Pensyfan19

ConstanceR46 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:57 am If i recall correctly, in the mid-2000s RMLI got a CP SD40 down for a railfest event. Apparently it had problems with the fresh pond wye and one of the higher ups was pissed.
Very interesting!

In that case, does anyone have any photos of this SD40 on Long Island?
 #1547804  by Backshophoss

They might have tried to turn the unit on the sharp turn side of the wye at Fresh Pond(ei: next to the embankment),then under the bridge that carries the Bay ridge secondary tracks.
The FL-9 3 axle truck screeched on that track shoving up the ramp to Fremont,then change ends for the run back to New Haven.
 #1571202  by Pensyfan19

I have found an example of a leased PRR FM Erie Built testing on the LIRR.
From the Patchogue Station page on trainsarefun:
The LIRR was in need of a 2000 HP locomotive to handle Montauk trains in order to return the K4-s back to the PRR. This photo shows a PRR cab unit on the Long Island RR. It is an Erie built FM 2000HP cab unit. in Summer of 1949. The PRR had previously sent an Alco PA-1 to LI for test back in December 1948. Both of these tests were short stints. What is known is that shortly after the Erie built was on LI, the PRR placed the LIRR in Bankruptcy. In the coming year, the Trustees placed orders with FM which brought the 2000HP and 2400 HP C liners to the LIRR in the Tichy colors. All the K-4s on the LIRR went back to the PRR once the C Liners were on the LIRR in 1951. They were no longer needed for the Montauk trains as C Liners now were handling these trains.
 #1571203  by ConstanceR46

The SD40 story may not be true, but if you say a myth on a railroad fourm for long enough it gets repeated.

According to Diesels of the Sunrise Trail, a quite definitive and good book, an SD9, Trainmaster, and (if i recall correctly, again) PA also were tested on the island. None resulted in any sales.
 #1571378  by Pensyfan19

Bad Luck wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:38 am Nobody remembers NYA’s tunnel motor? :wink:
Details?
 #1571403  by ConstanceR46

NYA had a SD45-2T for several years until it was wrecked in a series of unrelated accidents beginning with a mad foamer storming Jamaica's Control Tower.

An old inside joke here.