Railroad Forums 

• REST IN PEACE, Raymond P. Kenny

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1540007  by Liquidcamphor

We heard some sad news that Ray Kenny, former Acting President and Senior VP of the Long Island Railroad passed away. He was recently hospitalized from the effects Covid-19. I was saddened to hear that news. Rest in Peace Ray.

I added to this post after it was up on the board. I always respected that Ray was a gentleman to the employees and was willing to hear what you had to say. When he was denied the full President's position, it was a loss for the LIRR, because he was so loyal to it. I'll say it again, Rest in Peace Ray. Many of us were thinking about you when you were sick and will always speak fondly of you. As time goes on, more and more of us that worked careers together will pass on. Some the best times we had in our lives were the times we shared together at work. Railroading is a lifestyle and when you were in a room with your coworkers, you were in it together. Working holidays, nights, weekends, winter storms and disruptions in service. Many of the senior management were disconnected from the employees, but I never felt that way about Ray. Not at all and he was right there with us. A guy that was very loyal to the LIRR and its employees. You will be missed.
 #1540017  by MACTRAXX

LC and Everyone: This is SAD news for any of us that have an interest in the LIRR...

My first thought was the opening lyric from the Beatles song "A Day In The Life":
"I read the news today oh boy about a lucky man who made the grade..."

Many LIST-NRHS members will remember him and he was well regarded...

If there is an obituary please share along with any funeral or memorial service arrangements...

Ray certainly "made the grade" for the LIRR back in the day...
Rest in peace...MACTRAXX
 #1540020  by krispy

RIP! They're blowing 2 short going through Lindenhurst as a salute to Ray. One heck of a memory, and also compassionate. He would try to get training or something for folks who were out of service, and would be more benevolent than most when it came to discipline, especially if you expressed remorse. I remember several times seeing Ray working late in bad thunderstorm situation, and then show up early the next morning, all dressed up to represent the LIRR at a Walk of Dimes event, etc. One of a kind, and a big loss to railroading in general.
 #1540040  by Head-end View

I'm very sorry to hear of Ray Kenny's passing. Though I did not know him personally, I heard him years ago on LIRR Channel-2 when he worked at 204. And I'd seen him around many times and was well aware of his excellent reputation. Rest-in-peace Mr. Kenny.
 #1540051  by RGlueck

Ray and I were both teenagers in the LIST NRHS when we took on repainting G5s #35, at Salisbury Park. After I graduated college and moved to Maine, I sold one of my LIRR builders plates, off an S class ALCO switcher, to Ray. He really loved it. I never saw him again, but I would like to believe there was still a positive bond between us. Damn. This is like a bullet whizzing past my ear.
So long, Ray. May the yards be full of big locomotives under steam, where you are tonight.
 #1540056  by gamer4616

Wow. This is the first I'm hearing of the news.

I'll just add to what others have said. He was well liked and respected. When the railroad upgraded the Montauk Branch east of Speonk, adding signals for the first time, the newly created interlocking in Hampton Bays was renamed in his honor (RPK Interlocking).

RIP
 #1540109  by Jeff Smith

In a 2014 interview, Kenny said he became interested in the LIRR while riding the train between his Cedarhurst home and Molloy High School in Queens. He began working at the railroad as a summer ticket clerk in the early 1970s, while pursuing a bachelor's degree in business administration from John Jay College. After graduating, he was hired full time on the management side of the LIRR as a junior industrial engineer.

Kenny worked in various management roles until being promoted in the early 2000s to chief transportation officer. When then-LIRR president James Dermody retired in 2006, Kenny served as acting president for 10 months. In the role, Kenny was charged with leading the railroad’s response to the concerns raised by a Newsday investigation about the dangers of wide gaps between trains and station platforms.

"I was not stressed, because I had a lot of help. Everybody was pulling the same weight," Kenny said in 2014 about his time as acting president. "I really did enjoy the job. I tried to bring the place together."
After serving as a “champion” in the railroad’s recovery from superstorm Sandy, according to Williams, Kenny retired from the LIRR in 2014. He worked in the private sector until being hired by NJ Transit in January 2019 as senior vice president and general manager of rail operations.
 #1540110  by Datenail

Another victim of this virus. Ray and I worked together in management for many years and he was a good guy. I cannot think of any time that I didn't like him and the carrier lost a friend when he retired. To succumb to this at 68 is pretty sad especially when he was still in the industry that he loved. He's with his mother now who passed away only a few years ago. Rest in peace Ray.
 #1540119  by freightguy

From Railway Age Magazine:

Kenny, who began his transportation career in 1970 as an MTA Long Island Rail Road ticket clerk and retired from LIRR in 2014, had 50 years of railroad industry experience and an extensive background in managing large teams in transportation operations and capital improvements. In 1975, he entered railroad dispatching for LIRR before rising through the ranks with positions in personnel training and capital construction, prior to leading the Transportation department. From 2006 to 2007, he served as Acting LIRR President. Kenny joined NJT in January 2019.

From 2014 to 2018, Kenny served with WSP USA as a consultant for operations and planning for agencies across the U.S. His work involved helping improve MTA Metro-North Railroad’s business processes, including train crew availability; assisting Metrolink in Los Angeles with emergency management plans; subject matter expertise on the NEC Future project, a comprehensive planning effort to define, evaluate and prioritize future investments in the Northeast Corridor; and subject matter expertise for the Gateway Project in the design of a new Penn Station New York and staging of train operations to facilitate construction. Kenny was also assigned to the Hartford, Conn., rail project as a commissioning agent, ensuring project schedule compliance on the start of a new rail line.

“Ray’s reputation and experience in the industry are unparalleled,” said NJT President and CEO Kevin Corbett. “The leadership and incredible wealth of railroad knowledge Ray brought with him has truly made a positive impact on our organization. On behalf of everyone at NJ Transit, our thoughts and prayers are with Ray’s family and friends at this difficult time.”
 #1540165  by krispy

It's actually a group of signals, they named the interlocking at Hampton Bays after him using his initials, RPK. West end is RPK1 and the east end is RPK2. Similar to how old MS interlocking is now named after James Dermody, with his initials, JJD.
 #1540168  by mark777

R.I.P Ray Kenny. Very good man. I remember quite a few times seeing him on the trains that I worked. Very nice to talk to, very knowledgeable about the RR. This was a true RR guy, and he will be missed. I offer my prayers to his family!