Railroad Forums 

• 60 years late FM tech drawings

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1538507  by RGlueck

Does anyone know where the technical drawings for LIRR Fairbanks Morse locomotives end up? Did any collector or museum get them?
I need a resource for the two axle trucks under C-Liners and H16-44's.
 #1538524  by BuddR32

They may still be in Hillside. I'm not kidding. One time I was in the 'tech library' and they still had the original service manuals for the Budd/GTE cars
 #1538544  by RGlueck

It wouldn't surprise me. Pan American still has a selection of steam loco and passenger coach drawings in their files. What building in Hillside would store them? Anyone have access to check?
 #1538730  by MACTRAXX

RG: I suggest contacting Don Fisher at RMLI - there is LIRR ephemera and documents
on file in the Library section at Riverhead.

The problem right now is that RMLI is closed until further notice for the regular
Tuesday and Saturday work sessions for members such as myself.

RMLI is now scheduled to open for the 2020 season on Memorial Day Weekend
(May 23-25) to the public depending on how the current virus situation pans out.

BR32: The RMLI Library has on file the manuals for the Garrett (4001-4004)
and General Electric (4005-4008) Turbine MU Car fleet.
They may have the Fairbanks-Morse manuals for the C Liners in the collection as well...

Contacting the LIRR to see what is available at Hillside may be a good idea - but remember that the C Liners have been retired since 1963 - 57 years ago - and that
retirement occurred during the "Goodfellow" years when many historical pictures and documents were discarded.

The difference with the middle 1970s Turbo equipment is dating from the MTA years
under New York State ownership. Contacting RMLI will be much easier than filing a
FOIL to MTA (bureaucracy) to see what the LIRR *MAY* currently have...MACTRAXX
 #1538769  by RGlueck

I'll get an email off to Don Fisher regarding the FM books. Thank for the lead.
Let me state, I will not file an FOIA claim as I'm rather disconnected from the Island these days, however, I wouldn't discourage others from making that effort.
Thanks everyone for the leads!
 #1538806  by RGlueck

Spoke with Don Fisher and we're on it. Rapido is an interesting group that makes great (but really expensive) models. They are less likely to share data than you'd imagine. I know from experience.
 #1597734  by RGlueck

I have assembled an online file of drawings contributed by a broad number of donors. These are focused on the early Loewy style H16-44 Diesel engines, but a few other designs have snuck in. This is on Google Drive.
If you have data or drawings pertaining to LIRR FM's that do not duplicate what you see in this file, please consider sending it for inclusion. I have started a file on C-Liners as well, but it is not in this group.
If you see something which must be removed, just contact me and I'll oblige.

Steve has a great series of FM photos on his website, but I want technical drawings and data. Please contribute if you are able.

So few FM Diesels survived the great purges. There are a few commercial scale models available.
I would like to see scratch built or kit bashed models in any scale. I've seen one C-Liner in 1/8th scale, in Canada, built of plywood, but riding on EMD trucks and painted up for ViaRail.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing