• Cuomo wants to add 8 tracks at Penn Station to increase capacity - Newsday

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MNCRR9000

Came across this article in Newsday
New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Monday unveiled plans to add eight tracks at Penn Station by acquiring the block just south of the Manhattan transit hub.

The announcement highlighted Cuomo’s 2020 Infrastructure and Transportation agenda, which he detailed at a Manhattan meeting of the Association for A Better New York, a business group.

Cuomo said various plans underway to expand Penn over the years, including the ongoing construction of a train hall at the Farley Post Office building across the street, have been limited by the inability to add tracks at Penn.
https://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/c ... 1.40324743
  by DutchRailnut

Don't we all?? but at what cost, and if it won't benefit NY tax payers, who will pay for it??
  by Pensyfan19

This is essentially the Penn Station South proposal which was originally part of the Gateway program. I feel this is a great improvement for Penn Station and passenger rail in general. It gives more room for NJT and southbound/westbound Amtrak trains. :-D
  by andegold

DutchRailnut wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:28 pm Don't we all?? but at what cost, and if it won't benefit NY tax payers, who will pay for it??
I don't know why I bother but I'll repeat myself again. New York is the only state that benefits from bringing in commuters from New Jersey. Those commuters pay income tax to Albany. Not Trenton. They pay state income tax to Albany. They also pay millions of dollars in sales tax on their breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and everything else they buy in the city because they don't have time to run errands at home. And all those tourists packing the trains on the weekend with thousands of dollars each in American Girl crap are also paying into the New York economy. Tell me, how does New Jersey benefit from these tunnels and tracks? Do they get income tax? No. Do they get sales tax on purchases? No. Does the state (NJ) have higher property taxes because the only way to support the local schools is through property tax since the state doesn't get any income tax from the local residents? Yes.
  by JamesRR

Pensyfan19 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:29 pm This is essentially the Penn Station South proposal which was originally part of the Gateway program. I feel this is a great improvement for Penn Station and passenger rail in general. It gives more room for NJT and southbound/westbound Amtrak trains. :-D
It is Penn South - interesting that now it's being bundled into this Penn Station building improvements project. Honestly, it makes sense to do this when the facilities are being upgraded so it's all integrated.
  by Head-end View

If this all gets done, it's going to result in a huge, confusing complex a couple of blocks long. But chances are it won't all happen, at least not in my lifetime.
  by Rockingham Racer

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:22 am Fake news. Perhaps someone should pay some attention to the 110 year old rotting, leaking tunnels first.
Fake? No. Cuomo is real serious. Perhaps, unrealistic, but serious. BTW, Cuomo took a tour of the tunnels, so I guess he's paying attention.
  by Jeff Smith

How would the track connections to LIRR work? I'm pretty sure those tracks as envisioned were stub tracks for incoming trains from NJT and Amtrak.
  by RailTrek

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am How would the track connections to LIRR work? I'm pretty sure those tracks as envisioned were stub tracks for incoming trains from NJT and Amtrak.
That's what I was thinking. In the original plans for Penn South, these new platforms were connected to new tracks from ARC. You would have to branch out from 10th Ave to make. The approach proper to/from NJ. And if it were to have access to Long Island?? Going to be interesting to see
  by RRspatch

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am How would the track connections to LIRR work? I'm pretty sure those tracks as envisioned were stub tracks for incoming trains from NJT and Amtrak.
I'm guessing the purpose of "Penn South" is to get NJT trains off of the through tracks clearing up space for Metro North New Haven line and Hudson Line trains into Penn station. This would also increase space for more frequent NYC to Albany service.
  by fender52

Everybody is saying that this is a great improvement for capacity, but, how are they getting the trains into the station? I haven't seen where they are doing anything for the Hudson and East River tunnels.

You may have have extra tracks in the station, but you'll still wait to get them out.