Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1516419  by newkirk

On topic because I photographed this on the LIC branch in Queens. The overpass in the background should be Woodhaven Blvd.
Any idea what this FL-9 is doing here in LIRR property ? This was not one of the three dedicated FL-9's that ran with the C-1 bi-levels, those engine numbers were #300, #301 & #302.
Attachments:
November 1990
November 1990
IMAGE01.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 2073 times
 #1516426  by krispy

Nice catch! I don't know, but I would venture a guess some sort of work done at Morris Park shops and it's going back to Bliss for a trip over the Cut-off to face the right way for a trip back to the Mets on the Hellgate.
 #1516429  by DutchRailnut

it went to LI for clearance testing for the FL-9AC 's arrived.
main concern was the 3 axle truck at some points.
 #1516499  by RGlueck

You can dress a New Haven locomotive anyway you want, but it's still a New Haven locomotive.
 #1516532  by 452 Card

We also used the 2003 for stop distance testing. It would develop a nasty f-end truck wobble at 61 mph, enough to be concerned about. M of E took it to the back shop and found the truck side bearings to almost non-existant. THEN we knew why MNR sent us that one!
 #1516631  by 452 Card

Closer inspection of the pic shows the MNCRR shoe beams removed for use on LIRR territory. As an addition to the last post- The LIRR back shop rebuilt the f-end truck in-house. I hope they appreciated that work up there!
I was probably running that engine that day. Why we would be on #2 track westward escapes me.