Railroad Forums 

• Bethpage Station burned down 1959?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1513800  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

From what I remember the station buildings at Bethpage, Wyandanch and Central Islip were built in 1958.
All three were of similar design which was 1950s utilitarian - only the Bethpage Station building remains.
This is the first time that I read any mention that the older Bethpage Station building burned down.

One way to clarify when these three station buildings were built would be to view copies of "LI Railroader"
from the years 1957-58-59 and see if there was any articles that mention the construction of either of
these three stations - and the reason each was replaced.

MACTRAXX
 #1513827  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:50 amFrom what I remember the station buildings at Bethpage, Wyandanch and Central Islip were built in 1958.All three were of similar design which was 1950s utilitarian - only the Bethpage Station building remains.
This is the first time that I read any mention that the older Bethpage Station building burned down.One way to clarify when these three station buildings were built would be to view copies of "LI Railroader"from the years 1957-58-59 and see if there was any articles that mention the construction of either of
these three stations - and the reason each was replaced.MACTRAXX
My suspicions, also. I posted this to to indicate the nonsense that is at times on the net.

I've spoken with Lenny Mulqueen, President of the Central Park Historical Society, many times and he tells me that the old building was razed, not burned. Dave Morrison

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirrphotos/ ... ISTORY.pdf Dave Keller's Station History and
the replacement depot was scheduled to be opened on 10/12/57 per a NY Daily News article which ran on 10/06/57.

The info is incorrect. Perhaps mini-fake news?! Were do folks get this stuff? Thanks MACTRAXX for your insight.
 #1514186  by MACTRAXX

Steve:

I visited RMLI this past week and checked out the copies of LI Railroader that they have and found two
mentions of Bethpage Station - which was built in 1957. The two dates are those of the LI Railroader
issues that I found this information in:

November 21, 1956-New station to be built at Bethpage...First step removal of freight track west of Stewart
Avenue allowing extension of the eastbound platform. Relocating Maiden Lane on the westbound side for the
new building replacing a 75 year old wooden structure (1881?) on the eastbound side. The new building will
cost $26,000 paid for by the Town of Oyster Bay and the LIRR. Bethpage will have platforms on both sides of
the two tracks between Stewart Avenue and Broadway.

July 3, 1957-Ground is broken at Bethpage for "modern" station building. Attending the ceremony was LIRR
President T.M. Goodfellow, Oyster Bay Supervisor Lewis N. Waters and OB Town Councilman James Norman
(represents the Bethpage area). The new 54' by 14' building to be completed by mid October. The dedication
of the building was to be during Bethpage's 21st Anniversary Celebration of the name change from Central
Park (1936).

Someone should let Kira Moon know about exactly when Bethpage Station dates from - it was 1957 and the
station replacement was a planned demolition and not from the result of a 1959 fire...MACTRAXX
 #1514322  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:48 pm Steve:

I visited RMLI this past week and checked out the copies of LI Railroader that they have and found two
mentions of Bethpage Station - which was built in 1957. The two dates are those of the LI Railroader
issues that I found this information in:

November 21, 1956-New station to be built at Bethpage...First step removal of freight track west of Stewart
Avenue allowing extension of the eastbound platform. Relocating Maiden Lane on the westbound side for the
new building replacing a 75 year old wooden structure (1881?) on the eastbound side. The new building will
cost $26,000 paid for by the Town of Oyster Bay and the LIRR. Bethpage will have platforms on both sides of
the two tracks between Stewart Avenue and Broadway.

July 3, 1957-Ground is broken at Bethpage for "modern" station building. Attending the ceremony was LIRR
President T.M. Goodfellow, Oyster Bay Supervisor Lewis N. Waters and OB Town Councilman James Norman
(represents the Bethpage area). The new 54' by 14' building to be completed by mid October. The dedication
of the building was to be during Bethpage's 21st Anniversary Celebration of the name change from Central
Park (1936).

Someone should let Kira Moon know about exactly when Bethpage Station dates from - it was 1957 and the
station replacement was a planned demolition and not from the result of a 1959 fire...MACTRAXX
Good stuff. I was busy on this also: New Bethpage Station: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/bethpage/bethpage.htm 25% down the page material.
Opinion: Kira Moon, et al. will continue to post nonsense and it is an on-going battle. I will leave it to others to correct her. The material was well worth digging up, from my view! Thanks all...
Attachments:
LIRRer 11/21/1956 Bethpage to be built
LIRRer 11/21/1956 Bethpage to be built
LIRRer-Bethpage_11-21-1956_Morrison.jpg (153.19 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 10/12/57 (per NY Daily News article of 10/06/57)
2ND DEPOT OPENED: 10/12/57 (per NY Daily News article of 10/06/57)
Bethpage-Station_10-06-1957_NY-Daily-News-Morrison.jpg (241.27 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
Bethpage Station - LIRR Press release 10/1957<br />Archive: Dave Morrison
Bethpage Station - LIRR Press release 10/1957
Archive: Dave Morrison

Bethpage-Station-LIRR-press-release_10-1957_Morrison.jpg (111.09 KiB) Viewed 2605 times
 #1514448  by MACTRAXX

BuddR32 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:19 am A lot of fanfare for a very drab, rather ugly shoebox of a building.
R32: That was the mentality back then - that newer was going to be better.
The Bethpage Station was a prime example of 1950s Utilitarian architecture that still stands today.
Remember the term "Architectual Graveyard"? 1950s Utilitarian structures were the epitome of this...
MACTRAXX
 #1514541  by fender52

Wasn't this around the same time that they started to tear down a lot of the old stations like the Hamptons and some on the Main Line?
 #1514543  by MACTRAXX

fender52 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:50 am Wasn't this around the same time that they started to tear down a lot of the old stations like the Hamptons and some on the Main Line?
F52: Yes...According to mention in Ron Ziel's book "Steel Rails to the Sunrise" the LIRR asked all three
counties for financial relief concerning station costs. Queens and Nassau offered subsidies but Suffolk County
for some reason refused to do so - because of the financial burden some stations were torn down. The book
mentions Amagansett in particular as a station that should have been saved. The mid 1950s began the
"metal shed" era on the LIRR which ran well into the 1960s.

In the case of Bethpage Station the Town of Oyster Bay and probably Nassau County provided funding
for the construction of the 1957 station building...MACTRAXX
 #1514545  by fender52

It was a shame about all those stations. They had some character.

I worked in the Bethpage bunker. It was a miserable office to work in, cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

I always like working in the older stations. You could be surprised what you could find in them that was laying around for years.
 #1514590  by newkirk

BuddR32 wrote: A lot of fanfare for a very drab, rather ugly shoebox of a building.
Is it possible to build a new station building situated across the street where the current platforms are ?

I feel since the platforms were moved west during the electrification process, a new station build really belongs there.

Then the LIRR can demolish that ugly cinder block palace and maybe provide a couple of parking spaces.
 #1514600  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 amThat was the mentality back then - that newer was going to be better. The Bethpage Station was a prime example of 1950s Utilitarian architecture that still stands today.Remember the term "Architectual Graveyard"? 1950s Utilitarian structures were the epitome of this.
Also: Far Rockaway (1958)
Flushing Main Street (1958) - street level depot recently demolished
West Hempstead (1959)
Douglaston (1962)
Willets Point (1963 - built for World's Fair)

Glendale (Atlas Terminal) freight station
 #1514633  by MACTRAXX

newkirk wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:54 pm
BuddR32 wrote: A lot of fanfare for a very drab, rather ugly shoebox of a building.
Is it possible to build a new station building situated across the street where the current platforms are ?

I feel since the platforms were moved west during the electrification process, a new station build really belongs there.

Then the LIRR can demolish that ugly cinder block palace and maybe provide a couple of parking spaces.
BM (and Everyone):
1-There is no room between Railroad Avenue and Platform A for any adequate sized station building.

2-The platforms were moved west of Stewart Avenue in 1986-87 to construct two continuous 12 car high
level platforms - which was not possible between the Stewart Avenue and Broadway grade crossings.
Keeping the 1957 building as the waiting room/ticket office was then seen as the best option.

3-With the ticket office closed and the ticket machines moved to the east ends of both platforms across
Stewart Avenue that ended any thought of a new station building at Bethpage. The chances of the LIRR
reinstating a staffed ticket office at Bethpage is slim to none.

4-Demolishing the 1957 Bethpage Station building would only provide maybe up to 10 more parking spaces.
The LIRR uses this building in some manner - is the waiting room still in use? Demolition is possible only
if the Railroad has no further use for the building and if MTA Real Estate can not find a commercial tenant.

MACTRAXX
 #1514718  by BuddR32

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:56 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:06 amThat was the mentality back then - that newer was going to be better. The Bethpage Station was a prime example of 1950s Utilitarian architecture that still stands today.Remember the term "Architectual Graveyard"? 1950s Utilitarian structures were the epitome of this.
Also: Far Rockaway (1958)
Flushing Main Street (1958) - street level depot recently demolished
West Hempstead (1959)
Douglaston (1962)
Willets Point (1963 - built for World's Fair)

Glendale (Atlas Terminal) freight station
At that Far Rockaway is no longer in use. No water or gas service, and the gates are welded shut.