Railroad Forums 

• An interesting ride from Montauk this AM.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1513204  by edflyerssn007

This morning I took my regular 704 out of Montauk. The first thing I noticed was that the platform was basically full, and I was a good 20 minutes early. There were tons of taxis letting out the tourist crowd and the platform became even more full. Shoved by 416 and led by cab car 5016, we departed on time, but that was the end of that idea. On arrival at Amagansett we took on more passengers, and even more at East Hampton. At this point it was standing room only. At Southampton, many couldn't get on and were left behind. Each station down the line more and more tried cramming in, but it was for nought, as the train was full. At Westhampton they announced that the LIRR had dispatched an extra train and it would be about an hour behind. Not many took the hook, but at least the folks at Westhampton found out they'd get transport.

When we approached Speonk, we ended up in the yard for the passing maneuver, as there was an eastbound on the main, maybe the extra, as it woupd be running to Southampton, then coming back to Speonk, where maybe it'll continue on West. At Shirley we were held for another east-bound. At the same time, they held the 810 Jamaics departure at Patchogue for a full 27 minutes while we made our way west. At Patchogue, we again used the siding to get around that 810 Jamaica train. I got out at Patchogue, but there was still a crowd trying to get on. I can only imagine how tough it will be for those stuck standing to Manhattan. Some were even going farther. Maybe at Babylon they'll offer additional electric service to alleviate the crowding. I can only imagine the tough day it's going to be in dispatch. At least it's the weekend, and there should be extra equipment, and I'm sure some crews will make solid OT money as well.

It's trips like this that really emphasize how badly the DM30/C3 order was botched in the 90's and how desperately we need new equipment. Also, the LIRR could probably make a killing with additional Cannonballs and east end scoots. Also would be interesting to hear if anything came of that study to bring Amtrak service to the Island. I'm sure some of the Manhattan folks would pay premium for Amfleet service to Montauk in the summer.
 #1513226  by MACTRAXX

Ed and Everyone:

This long July 4th weekend was at least a four day event for many with the 4th falling on a Thursday.

How many cars did Train #8701 (7:04 AM west from Montauk) have assigned this morning?
With the crowding problems how late did #8701 leave Patchogue? (schedule 8:43 AM)
A second extra was needed to cover the local stops between Patchogue and Babylon at least...
#8701 runs through nonstop to Jamaica from Babylon and terminates there.

This may be a sign of some crowding problems later on this Sunday - with the good weather forecast today
I was thinking that the peak return period would begin after 12 noon and last about 8-10 hours.

Expect heavy travel from any beach or resort areas - Sayville, Bay Shore, Freeport (Jones Beach) and Long
Beach come to mind as of my post in the 1:00 PM hour.

Yes - the LIRR could use more equipment for the three main Diesel routes - the Montauk, Port Jefferson and
Oyster Bay Branches along with the Ronkonkoma-Greenport Scoot. New dual-mode locomotives (the three
agency order for NYS is on indefinite hold at this point) and multilevel cars should be added to the LIRR fleet.

There was a topic concerning proposed Amtrak service to Long Island earlier this year in the Amtrak Forum:
https://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtop ... 6&t=169095
(11 pages 161 posts)

Some riders may be willing to pay good money for a luxury train ride to the East End resort areas...
Is extra Amtrak service in season on the Montauk Branch the answer? MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1513230  by MACTRAXX

Ed: Your train left Patchogue at about 9:30 AM westbound...How many cars did #8701 have assigned?
Was there announcements (or other mention) about the unscheduled westbound extra being made?
 #1513232  by edflyerssn007

8701 was assigned only 4 cars this morning. After the crew realized the crowding issues, they made contact with LIRR supervision. LIRR then announced over twitter and Facebook and other channels that an extra train would be run from Southampton to Speonk where it would either connect with a Speonk train or continue as the Speonk local. LIRR also announced supplementary bus service.

This was also announced on the train starting in Westhampton as the crew was trying to see if they could get some people off the train and have wait an hour for the extra.
 #1513233  by edflyerssn007

LIRR Twitter

For customers unable to board the 7:04AM train from Montauk due Jamaica at 9:53AM, LIRR will be running an extra train making all local stops from Southampton to Speonk. Bus service will also be provided from Southampton and Hampton Bays. Buses are expected on scene at approximately 10:00AM. We thank you for your patience.

The extra passenger train has departed Southampton and will be making stops at Hampton Bays (approximately 9:51AM), Westhampton (approximately 10:00AM), and arrive in Speonk (approximately 10:08AM). The 10:05AM train from Speonk due Babylon at 11:05AM is being delayed in Speonk to accommodate customers from a late-arriving train.

Viewing the LIRR twitter feed, one can see that the Montauk Branch is totally jacked up today with delayed trains due to higher than expected travel volume. Which blows my mind, because they ran extra trains on Wednesday going east, and the standard weekend compliment. Most people didn't come home on Friday, but stayed out on the east end. Truly shows the need for upgraded rail infrastructure. The East End is growing and needs upgrades for more passing areas, or even extension of double track territory, possibly as far as Speonk.
 #1513243  by MACTRAXX

Ed and Everyone:

The MTA website is now reporting as of 3PM to anticipate delays of 30 to 60 minutes on Montauk Branch trains.

Train #8710 east (12:10 from Jamaica due Montauk at 2:53 PM) is reported 18 minutes late at Mastic-Shirley.
Train #8705 west (1:26 PM from Montauk due Jamaica at 4:04 PM) is reported 25 minutes late at Southampton.

What made the information about Train #8701 interesting is that no mention about any alternate service
between Patchogue and Babylon was mentioned. In this case the LIRR anticipated a later return peak period
as I had previously mentioned and assigned 4 cars - which was probably the regular consist. It clearly was
not enough on this date...

I now think that some riders this morning had the thought to travel early and avoid the peak return time of
day - in this case a significant number tried to do so. The crowd out of Montauk on Train #8701 turned out
to be an ominous sign of things to come as the train went westward.

In terms of adding a second track to the Montauk Branch closing the 3.3 mile gap from Y Interlocking (where
double track ends in case anyone does not know) east of Sayville to Patchogue should be done.

A 17.3 mile segment between Patchogue and Speonk second track addition could be built in the future.
(Patchogue is at 53.9 and Speonk is at 71.4 miles from LIC)

MACTRAXX
 #1513297  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Later in the day "Redstone Soldier" - who is best known for his LIRR Cannonball arrival videos on Fridays in
season at Westhampton - posted two videos on YouTube of today's Trains #8703 and #8705.

The video of #8703 is at Speonk (schedule 12:35 PM) which then goes nonstop to Jamaica.
This train ran with 12 cars and two DM30 locomotives. www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPpF4ocVA5w

The #8705 video was recorded at Mastic-Shirley (schedule 2:50 PM) which makes all stops from Montauk to
Patchogue then runs nonstop to Jamaica. This train had 10 cars and two DM30 locomotives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTyFTEauMX8

The MTA website was later reporting that Montauk Branch trains could encounter delays of 20-30 minutes
on all trains - which was better than the 30-60 minute delays previously posted earlier in the day.

Did anyone know how the Sunday Cannonball (Train #8717) ran this evening?

Anyway...What may have been one of the busiest travel days of the Summer season on the Montauk Branch
is now history...MACTRAXX
 #1513335  by Mattg17

I got stopped at Shirley last night by 8719 on my way home from work. That was comprised of a 8 car dualmode. On July 4th that exact train was showing as a 12 car (presumably the set off 2798 from Wednesday). I know that there is a long term plan for how many coaches are for each train, but was this weekend running a different plan then to what's the norm?