Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1502751  by nyandw

Note: I wrote: Might anyone clarify the 3 color position target light changes in the pics between 2013 and currently, and the reason why?
I was referring to the Lowest 3 light target on the 2013 photo as opposed to the difference in the current 2019 photo.
 #1502774  by northpit

New signal rules took effect.changed from manual block to automatic.most of the east end of PD interlocking was reconfigured
 #1502793  by workextra

Fact is, the signals were installed properly and capable of displaying a slow speed aspect, but it was thought by a High ranking manager at the time the 3 lights were too confusing to LIRR crews and they only needed 2 lights because that was a yard (it’s not it’s an interlocking) so they pulled the C head thereby using the A & B heads only.
The signals Dept, employee told me the managers name and clearly he made a poor decision, which would later be propagated east of Seponk.
Sounds foolish but you can’t make this stuff up.
SK still has the C head just east of Speonk station but it’s plated over.

Properly installed the speed signaling color lights with the AB&C heads would suffice and not confuse LIRR T&E crews as the Foolish RAS garbage does.
 #1502844  by Backshophoss

The Cab Signals and ASC will enforce slow speed or restricted speed indications,depending on what commands were sent from the
"Babylon East" Control station panel.
 #1504075  by Publius Plunkett

Workextra, that was a great explanation! I always wondered why they "blacked out" one of the lenses on the "new" color light signals at PD. When they first installed them, they were spray painting the unused signal lenses. Have they since changed the signal heads? Perhaps I never noticed??